Skip to Main Content

Counseling Center

You are in the main content

CC logo alternative

JMU students experiencing a mental health emergency can come to the CC (Mon-Fri, 8-5) to speak with a CC clinician.

After hours & weekends:
If you live on campus: Call JMU Police (540-568-6911).
If you live in Harrisonburg: Call the Harrisonburg-Rockingham County CSB (540-434-1766). 

Immediate Threat:
Off Campus: Call 911  |  On-Campus: 540-568-6911

Speak directly about your concerns and request that an officer do a welfare check to make sure the student is safe. Examples of immediate threats: They have injured or hurt themself. They have taken too many pills. They are threatening to hurt themself. They have a weapon. They have threatened or attempted to harm someone else. They are suicidal and intoxicated and/or high. They cannot commit to keeping themself safe.

Possible Threat

If student displays any warning signs, ask them privately, "Has it gotten so bad you are thinking of killing yourself?" If you have serious concerns that they are a threat to themself or others, CALL 911. If it is not clear that they are an immediate threat, they will need to be evaluated further:

  • Police are trained to assess for safety and can provide this assessment on-site. JMU Office of Public Safety is the on-campus option and Harrisonburg Police Department is the off-campus option.
  • The Psychiatric Emergency Team (PET) clinicians at Sentara RMH hospital are trained to assess for safety. PET clinicians can provide in-person crisis assessments through the Emergency Department at Sentara RMH. 2010 Health Campus Drive, 540-689-1414
  • JMU students are eligible for emergency assessments. During our office hours (M-F, 8-5), come to the 3rd floor of the Student Success Center or call 540-568-6552 and request a crisis intake. Be clear that there are safety concerns. You can walk over with them if you want to make sure they get there. A Counseling Center crisis clinician is available by phone after hours and on weekends for JMU students who live on campus. Call JMU Police at 540-568-6911. The dispatcher will gather information, and if necessary, contact the Counseling Center clinician on call. If you live off campus, call Harrisonburg-Rockingham County Community Services Board (540-434-1766).

Serious Concern

If the student displays warning signs and/or long-term concerns (self-injury, disordered eating, chronic depression, increased substance use, etc.) but clearly denies thoughts of harm:

  • Refer them to Counseling Center Services. Depending on how concerned you are, offer to walk over with them. There is no need to make an appointment. We have walk-in hours Monday through Friday 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM.
  • Contact the Dean of Students about your concern (540-568-6468). The Dean of Students oversees the Behavioral Assessment Team. They will review the information and decide whether to contact the student directly, and how best to follow-up regarding the concerns. Visit our "How to Help a Distressed Student" page for more information.

Unsure? Call the CC to consult with a clinician, 540-568-6552.

Emergency Services 24 Hours Per Day
Telephone Crisis Counseling:
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-8255
Trevor Lifeline for LGBT Youth 1-866-488-7386
Trans Lifeline 1-877-565-8860
JMU CARE (Sexual Assault) Helpline 1-540-568-6411
RAINN National Sexual Assault Hotline 1-800-656-4673
Crisis Text Line 24/7 Text "Connect" to 741741
Sentara RMH Emergency Department: 2010 Health Campus Drive 540-689-1414
Law Enforcement:
JMU Office of Public Safety Emergency: 540-568-6911
Non-Emergency: 540-568-6912
Harrisonburg Police Department Emergency: 911
Non-Emergency: 540-434-4436