Skip to Main Content
You are in the main content
Cover Photo Image

Helping you Help Another Student

The Counseling Center provides consultation for University students, faculty, staff, and family members who are concerned about the unusual, problematic, or potentially harmful behavior of others. A staff member will explore your concerns in person or over the phone and help you develop ideas for dealing effectively with the situation. If the circumstances warrant, we'll also help you with the process of finding professional help for the person, either at the Counseling Center on campus or in the community.

Counselors are not normally the first people students turn to when they have problems. Students are in almost daily contact with friends, resident advisors, academic advisors, faculty, and family members, and they naturally confide in those closest to them when they are having difficulties. As a result, these individuals are in an excellent position to provide information and assistance to students in distress, and also to refer students to professional counseling when they appear to have more serious concerns.

Consultations are confidential, with the exception of situations in which the Counseling Center believes that there is a risk to the health or safety of an individual.

Related Content: Tips on referring a student to counseling