The Ed.S. Externship Training Program at the Counseling Center is designed to be flexible enough to allow externship students the opportunity to sample from a variety of activities to meet their unique training needs. Interns work with their individual supervisors and the Coordinator of Training to design a training program which best suits their training needs and which still meets the needs of the Counseling Center. The choices trainees make are included as part of their Training Agreement.
Students wishing to complete an externship at the Counseling Center must be third year graduate students in the Clinical Mental Health Counseling EdS program at JMU; must have successfully completed their practicum experience and comprehensive examination and have the approval of the Counseling Program and externship Coordinator. Interns are expected to obtain their own professional liability insurance prior to the start of the externship experience.
EdS externship students work 25-30 hours per week for the academic year and must complete a total of 900 hours over the course of the externship year; 240 hours of the total must be in direct service activities. Interns are expected to abide by the established policies and procedures of the Counseling Center and the ethical standards of the counseling profession. Interns also are expected to participate in a two-week long orientation to the Counseling Center and the externship prior to the start of the start of the academic year.
Interns are paid a graduate assistant stipend by the University for their service during the academic year. They also receive a tuition waiver for a total of 18 hours of academic credit.
Direct Service Activities
- Individual counseling, 7-8 clients per week
- Intake assessment, 2 hours per week
- Group counseling, 1.5 hours per week
- Educational skills programming, 1 hour per week
- Psychoeducational outreach programming, 1 hour per week
- Specialization area, 1 hour per week
- Consultation, .5 hour per week
- Individual supervision, 2 hours per week
- Groups Supervision, 1 hour per week
- Brief Therapy Treatment Team, .5 hour per week
- Case Conference, 1 hour per week
- Psychiatric Consultation, 1 hour per week
- Staff meeting, 2 hours per week
- Case management, variable
Students completing an EdS Clinical Mental Health Counseling externship at the Counseling Center will acquire the following knowledge, skills and experiences. Interns will:
- develop skill in operational/agency factors related to work in a university counseling center
- enhance individual counseling skills and knowledge
- develop skill in intake assessment
- acquire group co-facilitation skills
- gain knowledge and skill in crisis intervention
- improve psychoeducational programming skills
- demonstrate expertise in one specialization area
- demonstrate professional and ethical behavior
- develop skill in engaging in the supervision process
- enhance personal qualities relevant to effective counseling practice
Application materials must be received at the Counseling Center by February 1st.
- Schedule a meeting with the Coordinator of Training at the Counseling Center by calling 568-6552
- Submit the following application materials before the stated deadline:
- Cover letter stating interest in the Counseling Center as an externship site and how it relates to short- and long-term career goals
- Current resume
- Names and phone numbers of two references, at least one of whom must be familiar with your clinical skills
- Written clinical work sample (e.g., written portion of comprehensive exam, treatment plan, case summary)
- Materials will be reviewed and selected candidates scheduled for interviews during the first two weeks in February.
- Applicants will be notified of their selection by mid February.
Questions about EdS externship experiences at the Counseling Center should be directed to Tom Metzinger, Coordinator of Ed.S. Training, Counseling Center, MSC 0801, 568-6552, or email@example.com