Please remember if your student visa expires while you are in the country, you can remain in the U.S. legally if you are otherwise maintaining your status.  The visa is an entry document needed for successful entry into the U.S. under that particular status.  If you leave the U.S. then you must renew your ‘expired or soon to be expired’ visa for reentry.  It is NOT possible to renew your visa in the U.S. For more information about renewing your F-1 visa visit the following links in regards to an online nonimmigrant visa application and student visa information.  

Documents needed to renew your visa:

  • Valid Passport-dated at least 6 months into the future
  • Official Transcripts (in some cases an unofficial transcript will be sufficent, please check with the US embassy)
  • Signed I-20/DS-2019 form
  • Official bank statement showing availability of adequate funds for at least 1 year
  • Any documentation showing your intent to return to your home country
  • Any additional documents required by the U.S. Embassy/Consulate, such as a completed DS-160 form

Back to Top