There are strict rules defining when employment is permitted for students in F-1 and J-1 status. For example: on-campus employment means JMU campus only (no other university) and is limited to 20 hours per week.

On-Campus Employment during the Academic Year

International students holding F-1 and J-1 visas are eligible for employment on JMU’s campus while they remain full-time students in good status, provided their program sponsor approves this employment. Any employment must be limited to 20 hours per week while school is in session, but you may be permitted to work full-time during school breaks. The rules apply to undergraduate and graduate students and for all types of campus employment, from dining hall services to graduate assistant positions. Students who work more than 20 hours per week while school is in session could have their immigration status terminated.

The three main employers of on-campus jobs are JMU, Aramark (dining services) and Follet Higher Education Group (bookstore.) JMU on-campus jobs listing can be found through the Student Work Experience Center. International Students holding F-1 visas are not eligible for jobs with the position type of Federal Work Study (marked with FWS). Learn more about working for dining services through Aramark and for the bookstore through Follet.

J-1 visa holders: you must report your on-campus employment to ISSS for approval before beginning to work on campus.

See our Employment Resources page for your next steps.

Back to Top