If You Don't Know How to File Taxes

To help JMU’s F-1 visa international students and J-1 visa exchange visitors with completing and sending tax forms, the International Student & Scholar Services office is hosting a number of tax workshops from February to April on the following days:

| Feb. 21 | March 27 | April 9 |

During one of these workshops you will need to bring the following:

  • Any letter/mail you will have received in your mailbox or in MyMadison which stipulate TAX INFORMATION (such as your W-2 or 1042-S form if you worked or earned a scholarship from JMU).
  • Your passport (if any).
  • Your social security number.
  • Any previous tax documents (such as photocopies of tax forms you completed in the past).

If you have NOT received a W-2 or 1042-S by mid-February and:

  • You worked for JMU or received a scholarship from JMU, follow the instructions on the Payroll Office's webpage.
  • You worked for Aramark, refer yourself to this instructions handout.
  • You worked for a U.S. company (doing an internship...), contact the company's Human Resource's department.
Completing Taxes on Your Own
  • If you have NOT been working in 2018, you need to complete the 8843 form. To guide through this process, refer yourself to this 8843 Tax Sample form.
  • If you have worked and/or received a scholarship (or received a W-2 form and/or a 1042-S form) you will need to use the Sprintax software. Refer to the 2018 Sprintax Instructions handout to find out how to access the Sprintax software and to guide through the process (step-by-step). Please note: If you have lived (as a result of studying and/or working) in the U.S. for 5+ years you will not be able to use the Sprintax software, however you will find some comparable Free File Software Offers found on the IRS website.

If you are not sure how to answer a question or how complete the form, you will need to attend one of the workshops (no assistance will be provided outside of the tax walk-in sessions).

Back to Top