The International Student and Scholar Services office manages the visa sponsorship of international faculty, staff, scholars and visitors to James Madison University. The information listed below outlines the types of sponsorships options for international employees. In general, the individual must hold at least a bachelor’s degree to be eligible for sponsorship. The ISSS office staff will advise on the most appropriate visa type for a particular position. Some of these options can takes months to be approved, so we encourage you to reach out to our office as soon as you are able.

Visa Types for Sponsorship:

Visa Sponsorship Not Needed

Some international hires may already have work authorization:

  • EADs (Employment Authorization Document) are not obtained through university sponsorship. They are obtained directly by the employee from U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS) through processes such as OPT (Optional Practical Training for F-1 students), dependent work authorization (e.g. J-2), and adjustment of status.
  • STEM OPT. This work authorization is a type of EAD obtained by the employee, but the hiring department will have some paperwork and reporting requirements.

For international hires who already have work authorization, we still encourage you to put them in contact with our office. In many cases, the work authorization will expire and we’ll need to explore a long term plan. In many cases, getting new work authorization can take months, so connecting the new hire to our office will ensure a smoother outcome for all.

Back to Top