Practical Training (OPT/CPT) Overview

Some international hires may already have work authorization through Optional Practical Training (OPT) or STEM OPT or Curricular Practical Training (CPT) from their F-1 student status.  This type of employment will have an expiration date, either on the Employment Authorization Document (EAD) as part of the OPT or on their I-20 form listing the work authorization by employer for the CPT.  This will allow the employee to work at JMU. 

For international hires who already have work authorization, we encourage the hiring department and/or the employee to contact our office.  The work authorization will expire and we’ll need to explore next steps. In many cases, new work authorization can take months, so connecting the new hire to our office will ensure a smoother outcome for all.

Further Questions?

If you have any further questions about Practical Training, please contact Sherry Lu.

Back to Top