Family members (other than your spouse and children) wishing to visit the U.S. must apply for a tourist visa at the U.S. embassy or consulate in their home countries. To support the application for a B-2 (tourist) visa, we suggest that you send the following to the applicant: 

  • Invitation letter from you to your invitee, in English, inviting him/her for a visit. (sample letter)
  • Evidence of your ability to financially support your visitors during their stay (a bank statement). This evidence is needed only if your visitor does not have the funds to support himself or herself during the visit to the U.S.
  • Evidence of your status in the U.S.:

In addition to the support above, family members will need to demonstrate the following:

  • Evidence of intent to return home: Your family members must prove that they will return home after visiting the US. Documents showing employment, property ownership, close family relations in home country, or enrollment in school (in the home country) are considered good evidence of intent to return home.
  • Evidence of fund for family members: If your family members intend to cover their own expenses, they should provide a bank statement, employment verification or other evidence of funding.

The U.S. State Department/Bureau of Consular Affairs website has additional information about applying for a tourist visa. In addition, many individual consulates will have more specific information about inviting family members on their websites.  

Once your family arrives, enjoy visiting the many local/regional attractions unqiue to Harrisonburg and the surrounding community. To help you decide where you want to start, we created a list of some great activities nearby, found here!

Back to Top