An F-1 student may accept employment with a recognized international organization.  Please see the list of qualified international organizations. 

  • The student must have an offer letter from the qualified international organization on their letterhead that includes the start and end dates, and their address
  • The employment can be full or part-time
  • The employment does not have to be related to the major
  • Students can begin employment beginning in their first semester
  • Students must maintain full-time status at JMU
  • The time employed with an international organization does not affect the student’s OPT eligibility
  • Employment authorization may be granted for a year at a time and can be renewed
  • Employment is terminated if you fail to maintain status or transfer to another school

Contact ISSS for more information about this employment option and details regarding the application process.

Back to Off Campus Employment

Back to Top