How much will my appointments cost?

Call your insurance company to find out the answer. Inquire what your ‘co-pay’ is to see a clinician/psychiatrist. A co-pay is the amount that you will be responsible for paying at each session. If your insurance plan does not have a co-pay, it will have a ‘deductible’ which means that you have to pay 100% of the session cost until your deductible has been met. Your insurance company will then pay for part or all of your session cost. You can also ask if the plan has an ‘out of pocket’ limit. This means that once your family has spent this amount of money (co-pays, medication, visits, etc) insurance will cover your expenses at 100%.

What if I don't have insurance or my insurance does not have in-network providers in the Harrisonburg area?

Some providers offer a lower rate for out of pocket payments. Some providers are not yet licensed (but are practicing under the supervision of a licensed clinician) and are able to offer lower cost sessions. There are also several ‘sliding scale’ providers in the Harrisonburg area. This means that your session fee would be determined by your financial means.

Will my parents know I'm going to a mental health provider if I am on their insurance plan?

While confidentiality of mental health services is legally protected, some information (including date and type of appointments) may be conveyed in correspondence sent to the person who pays for your insurance. For more details, please speak to your insurance company and your provider.

Can I just look on the internet to find a provider that takes my insurance?

If you decide to use the ‘Find a Provider’ feature on the website for your insurance company, be sure to enter your member number or plan name for a correct list of options. If you just go to the website of the main insurance company on your card, you might end up with a list of providers that don’t take your insurance. You can also search the Counseling Center clinician databaseKeep in mind that you should always confirm directly with your provider that they participate with your specific insurance plan.

What's the difference between the kinds of mental health providers?
Mental Health Providers for Counseling
  • PhD and PsyD (Psychologist with a doctorate, should indicate licensure status)
  • LPC (Licensed Professional Counselor)
  • LCSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker)
  • Mental Health Providers for Medication
    • Psychiatrist (MD or DO) or Psychiatric Mental-Health Nurse Practitioner
    • Some Family Doctors and Primary Care Physicians will prescribe medication for anxiety and depression
What if I want to see someone who doesn't contract with my insurance company?

It will likely be more expensive to see an ‘out-of-network provider’ than a provider on your insurance company’s panel. However, you can ask your insurance company if your plan is a Preferred Provider Organization (PPO). If you do have a PPO, it is possible that your company will pay a portion of the fee for an out-of-network provider.

What if I need to speak with someone immediately for a mental health emergency?

If you are experiencing a mental health emergency (e.g., suicidal or homicidal thoughts or actions, sexual assault or other significant trauma), there are several clinical services available. See our Emergency Assistance page for more information.

  • Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM:  Call the Counseling Center (540-568-6552) or stop by our office, located on the third floor of the Student Success Center.
  • For mental health emergencies occurring after working hours or on weekends:

    • Students who reside in JMU on-campus housing should contact JMU Public Safety (540-568-6911) who will assess the situation and, if necessary, contact the Counseling Center clinician on call.  
    • Students who reside in the Harrisonburg community should contact the Harrisonburg-Rockingham County Community Services Board (540-434-1766).  
    • Any student may go to the Emergency Department Sentara RMH Medical Center, 2010 Health Campus Drive, Harrisonburg, VA, 22801, (540-689-1414).
I still have questions. Who can I talk to at the Counseling Center?

If you are unsure how to proceed, you can call the CC (540-568-6552) and ask to schedule an appointment with the Case Manager who will assist you in verifying benefits, identifying providers, and in scheduling an appointment. 

Back to Top