Cover Photo Image

Congratulations to #JMU23! The Office of Residence Life welcomes all incoming first year students!

All first year students are required to live in university residence halls for the entirety of their first academic year at James Madison University (fall and spring semesters). First year students that join JMU in the spring will be housed only for the spring semester. Exceptions to the first year residency requirement may be made for:

    • First year students who commute daily within a 60-mile radius from the permanent home address of their parents or legal guardians as indicated on their application for admission to JMU.
    • First-year students who are 21 years of age or older.
    • Prior active duty military service.
    • Married first year students.

Requests for exceptions must be made in writing to the Associate Director of Housing.

The One Book website is comprised of several steps you need to complete, including signing your First Year Housing Contract, to prepare for your transition to JMU.

New first year students for Spring 2020 will be able to access the Online Housing System starting on October 29, 2019. Visiting this system, students will be able to sign a housing contract and select a meal plan. Students can access the Online Housing System within 24–48 hours of paying their admissions deposit.


Frequently Asked Questions

When will I find out my room and roommate?

All students who sign their Housing Contract by December 13, 2019 will be able to view their room assignment information on December 17 in the Student Center on MyMadison. The information will include their building location and room number, roommate information and move-in date.

[Return to the top]

When is the first year housing contract available?

The first year housing contract will be available on October 29, 2019 and must be completed by December 13, 2019.*


*If you have any questions about this deadline, please contact our Housing Office via email at or give us a call at 540-568-HOME. 

[Return to the top]

What buildings are available to first year students?

The following halls will be available to first year students:

  • Bluestone: Hoffman, Spotswood and Wayland
  • Hillside: Bell, Hillside, and McGraw-Long
  • Lakeside: Eagle and Shorts
  • Skyline: Chesapeake, Chandler and Shenandoah (except for B Section's upper floors) and floors 1-3 of Jennings
  • Village: Chappelear, Dingledine, Frederikson, Garber, Hanson, Huffman, Ikenberry, Weaver and White

[Return to the top]

Do all buildings have air-conditioning?

Unfortunately, only about 50% of first year residence halls are air-conditioned. While most Bluestone residence halls and all Skyline and Hillside area residence halls are air-conditioned, Spotswood Hall and all Lakeside and Village area residence halls do not have air-conditioning.

If you require an air-conditioned building due to a health reason, please complete the Housing Accommodation Request. Housing Accommodation Request.

[Return to the top]

Back to Top