University Withdrawal

ALL Students:

The withdraw process at James Madison University begins when the student makes their initial request via submitting the electronic form to the office of the Registrar or contacts the Office of the Dean of Students to declare their intent to withdraw. Students who are withdrawing during the first three weeks of the current semester, or students who plan to complete their current semester but will not be attending JMU for the subsequent semester, must submit the request below to the Office of the Registrar. Student desiring to withdraw after the third week of the current semester should contact the Dean of Students, (540) 568-6468

Please note that financial aid eligibility can change as a result of withdrawing from all of your classes. Students may be subject to Federal Return of Title IV Funds regulations, which could require an immediate repayment of all or part of the financial aid funds you received during the term from which you are withdrawing.

Students who withdraw from the University will lose access to ALL campus services, including MyMadison and Canvas. Access to email ( will not be revoked. If you have further questions about the withdrawal policy at JMU, please contact the Registrar's Office at (540) 568-6281.

First Semester Freshmen/Transfer Students:

The Office of Admissions will process a Tuition Deposit Refund if your Cancellation Notice is submitted prior to your refund date indicated on your Tuition Deposit Invoice.  If you have questions, please contact the Office of Admissions, 540-568-5681.  Request for a Tuition Deposit Refund after the refund date indicated on your Tuition Deposit Invoice must be submitted separately in writing to Dean of Admissions, 100 E. Grace St., MSC 0101, Harrisonburg, VA 22807.

If you decide to complete the withdrawal process prior to the add/drop deadline and then subsequently want to attend JMU, you will need to reapply through the Office of Admissions.

Students Currently Living on Campus:

If students are currently living on campus, please be sure to have transportation when the Non-Returning form is submitted.  Once it is processed, JAC card access will be terminated to residence halls.

Resident students that have questions about potential refunds and the status of current/future contracts should contact the Office of Residence Life, (540) 568-4663.

Graduate Students:

All students enrolled in Graduate or Doctoral degree programs must enroll each regular semester (Spring and Fall) for a minimum of one graduate credit hour.  This registration must continue with no breaks in enrollment from the first graduate or doctoral program course through graduation (excluding Summer sessions.)  Graduate Students who wish to return in the future must notify the Graduate School, (540) 568-6131, and enroll in the one-credit course, GRAD 597, in lieu of completing this form.

Submit the below form to the Office of the Registrar to withdraw from the university.

Non-Returning/Leave of Absence Notice

Deadline for Submission for Fall and Spring semesters is the third Friday of the term, after this deadline please contact the Dean of Students Office, (540)568-6468, to complete the withdrawal process.

Leaving JMU Checklist

Follow these steps as applicable for a successful separation from JMU.

Academic Advising:

Notify your Academic Adviser
Your adviser's name is located on your Student Center on the right side of the screen.

Financial Aid & Scholarships:
Student Success Center
(540) 568-7820

Discuss your financial aid situation and any necessary procedures.

Office of Residence Life:
Huffman Hall:
(540) 568-4663

Please consult the On-Campus Housing Contract Terms and Conditions regarding refund dates and amounts. Check with your RA/Hall Director for proper checkout procedures

Office of the Registrar:
Student Success Center
(540) 568-6281

Complete the Non-Returning/Leave of Absence Notice and submit to our office by the deadline outlined below.  If you prefer to submit a paper form please visit the office of the registrar.  Deadline for submission for Fall and Spring semesters is the third Friday of the term.  Ensure your home address is correct on MyMadison. 

Dean of Students:
Student Success Center
(540) 568-6468

Contact this office if you wish to withdraw from JMU after the Office of the Registrar's deadline above.

University Business Office:
Student Success Center (540) 568-6505

Once you have received notification that your withdrawal has been processed, ensure your account balance is zero.

For more information on university withdrawals, please consult the appropriate catalog:

Withdrawal Policy per Undergraduate Catalog
Withdrawal Policy per Graduate Catalog

Back to Top