As of July 1, 2008, James Madison University will provide to parents of dependent students access to educational records upon written request. This policy applies to current JMU students who are registered for the current semester or pre-registered for the following semester if between terms.

Please note: Students are encouraged to view their unofficial transcript periodically via their MyMadison account. Students can also request an official transcript through MyMadison; they have the option of sending the transcript via USPS or electronically, and can request to have it sent when final grades are posted for a specific semester. If your student wishes to send a transcript to you in order to share his/her grade information, please ask him/her to make the request via MyMadison.

To request a copy of a dependent student's educational record:

Complete the Parent Request for Information of Dependent Student form
(note: A new form is required for each request.)

and one of the following:

Submit a copy of your current year's tax return listing the student as a dependent
Have the student complete the Student Declaration of Dependent Status form.

Please allow 7-10 business days (excluding mail time) for processing from the date we receive the request.

Send completed forms to:

James Madison University 
Office of the Registrar
Student Success Center
738 South Mason Street, MSC 3528
Harrisonburg, VA 22807

or fax to (540) 568-5615

Please contact the Registrar's Office at 540-568-6281 with any questions.

Back to Top