Statue of James Madison in the fall

 Use the links below for information on transferring from:

Will my courses transfer? Visit JMU's Transfer Credit Equivalency Guide to view currently accepted courses!
Frequently Asked Questions

Prospective students should submit an official transcript to the JMU Office of Admissions as part of their application to JMU. The Office of the Registrar will complete an evaluation based on the official transcripts you provide to the Office of Admissions after an offer of admission has been made. The transfer credit evaluation will be available through your MyMadison Applicant Center when it is completed. You can find more information about how your credits are evaluated on our Prospective Students page. You can view how credits may be accepted by referring to the transfer credit equivalency guide linked above.

Some transfer institutions use a third-party credential service called Parchment to send and receive official records. If your institution has requested you use Parchment to send your transcript to JMU, please select the Office of Admissions option as the recipient. If you don't see this option, try expanding out the See All Results section.

Yes! Courses taken in this manner are referred to as dual enrollment courses. Students should submit an official transcript from the regionally accredited college or university that offered their dual enrollment courses. Credit cannot be awarded from a high school transcript. You must receive a grade of "C" or better in order to be awarded credit. 

If an official transcript has been received, students may check their Applicant Center in MyMadison to see if the transfer credit has been awarded.

The following courses are not transferable for credit:

  • Courses graded as Pass/Fail or Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory.
  • Courses that are technical and/or vocational in nature.
  • Remedial, Developmental, and/or sub-college courses that are usually taken to remove a high school deficiency or to remedy inadequate preparation for college-level work in a specific discipline.
  • Courses in which a comparable discipline is not available at JMU.
  • College Level Examination Program (CLEP) courses, departmental and school examinations for credit.

James Madison University recognizes and values the experience of our students who have served and are currently serving in the U.S. military.

A JMU student's "academic level", or classification, depends on the number of credit hours they've earned (including transfer credits). You can use the chart below to determine the number of credit hours required for each classification.


Credit Hours

First Year

Fewer than 28






More than 89

Back to Top