Feature Image

The Office of the Registrar will complete an evaluation of credit after an offer of admission has been made. The transfer credit evaluation will be available through the MyMadison Applicant Center.

  • Credits are only accepted from institutions recognized by a regional accrediting body.
  • Each course taken at another institution will be evaluated individually, and credit will be allowed only for equivalent college courses offered at JMU in which a grade of “C” or better has been earned. A “C-“ will not transfer.
  • Courses are evaluated by reviewing the course content regardless of the mode of instruction.
  • Transfer credit will be earned for courses in which you have earned a grade of "C" or better, but your grade point average for those courses does not transfer to your JMU record. 
  • Courses from your prior institution may not show on your Transfer Credit: Report if:
    • We have not recevied an official transcript from your prior institution.
    • The course is still under review by a department evaluator.
    • The course was denied based on a remedial, developmental or vocational status.
    • The course was listed on your transcript without a grade.
    • The course was denied based on a grade of C- or lower.
  • If you believe a OOO elective course on you transfer credit evaluation is equivalent to another course at JMU, please submit a Transfer Credit Re-evaluation Form along with a course syllabus to the Office of the Registrar for consideration. Forms received without a syllabus will be automatically denied.

JMU requires a minimum of 120 credit hours for graduation.  If you are offered admission to JMU, you must complete all prerequisite, major, program and degree requirements to graduate and you must meet the following requirements:

  • Have earned a minimum of 25% of credit hours (30 credits for degree programs of 120 credits) at JMU.
  • Have earned at least 50% of credit hours (60 credits for degree programs of 120 credits) accepted by JMU from accredited four-year institutions of higher education, including JMU.
  • Meet course prerequisites for the major regardless of where general education requirements are completed.

When reviewing your transfer credit evaluation, you may see generic departmental elective credit.  The courses are designated with “OOO”, “OO1”, “OO2”, or “OO3” such as ENG OOO or MATH OO1.  JMU considers this course to be good academic work but the department is unable to identify the exact JMU equivalent. 

JMU has Guaranteed Admission Agreements with two Out-of-State community colleges:

  • Mercer County Community College in New Jersey
  • Montgomery College in Maryland
You can read the agreements here. We also recommend reviewing the current course equivalents for both colleges in the Transfer Credit Equivalency Guide.

Back to Top