JMU Study Abroad Online Orientation Web site


All students need a valid passport.  If you have a passport, please make sure that your current passport is not about to expire.  Some countries require that your passport be valid for at least 6 months beyond the dates of your trip.  For more information regarding passports, please visit the State Department web site at or contact the Office of Passport Services in Washington, D.C. at 202-647-0518


A visa is an official stamp placed inside your passport that permits you to travel or study in another country for a stated period of time. Students going to Florence, (Fall or Spring,) or Salamanca (Fall or Spring,) semester will need to apply for a student visa.  It is your personal responsibility to contact the consulate regarding visa requirements. Additional visa information will be provided during your individual program orientation.

Here are some pieces of general advice:

  • Review visa application requirements for your country NOW.
  • It is the student's responsibility to contact their consular office regarding visa requirements.
  • Be aware that requirements are subject to change, so check the web site periodically for the most current information.
  • Visa requirements vary from country to country.
  • Visa requirements vary from consulate to consulate in the United States.
  • Please do not listen to advice given by former participants.

For detailed instructions about most visa application procedures, visit the Department of State website.

Forms - 

The following forms and information were due upon acceptance, and should be turned in to the CGE immediately!


This form includes acknowledgement of financial responsibility, authorization for emergency treatment and request for emergency contact names and telephone numbers.  All students participating in study abroad programs should be sure that they have health insurance to cover their medical expenses while living in another country.  It is in your best interest to have hospitalization and medical insurance coverage that is valid outside the United States.


Please make a clear and legible copy of your passport identification page and upload it to your application or email/bring it to the CGE; faxed copies turn out illegible and cannot accepted.  The identification page is inside the cover and shows your picture and identification number.  Our office needs this copy to register you with the American embassy abroad.


You will need to submit passport-size photos to the CGE for identification and enrollment purposes.  Please write your name, program and term (fall, spring or summer) on the back of each photo.  Photos are available from local retailers such as CVS, WalMart, and Gitchell's.  The required number of photos per program are:





Photo will be taken at General Orientation

Summer (4) and Fall/Spring (5)

Photo will be taken at General Orientation

Photo will be taken at General Orientation

Insurance - 


Students enrolled in JMU-sponsored study abroad programs will be covered by a medical insurance policy administered by Cultural Insurance Services International for the period of time that they are participating in the JMU program. More information concerning insurance coverage will be distributed at program orientation meetings. See the student handbook of your particular program for specifics about the country in which you will study. Cancelling your current US policy is not advised. Disruption of coverage could cause problems when reinstating. Click here to review policy.


In addition, students are strongly encouraged to purchase trip cancellation insurance that would provide monetary support for non-refundable expenses and service charges imposed by public carriers and travel suppliers, including baggage loss or delay. Students should check with their family’s homeowner’s policy to see if it covers loss or theft while they are abroad. JMU does not represent or act as an agent for, and cannot control the acts or omissions of any host institution, host family, transportation carrier, hotel, tour organizer or other provider of goods or services involved in the program.

Click here to continue with the online orientation.

Back to Top