Click the link below and login using your MyMadison credentials to complete the withdrawal notice.

Non-Return/Leave of Absence Notice

Once the form is submitted electronically, the process will consist of dropping your classes (if enrolled) and discontinuing you in the system. You will lose access to MyMadison, Canvas, JACard, and other campus services when completed. You will be notified through the preferred email provided in the electronic form within five business days of submission.

Follow the purple guide to help you navigate through the withdrawal process. If you not affiliated with any of these offices, you may proceed to the next step.

If you are withdrawing from JMU after the census date, you may be responsible for all tuition, fees, etc. on your billing account. 

The last day to withdraw for a semester is the last day of classes. 

Office of Residence Life
Phone: 540-568-4663
Location: Huffman Hall (Village Area

If you currently live on campus, you will need to check out of your residence hall room with your RA or Hall Director. Be sure to contact the Office of Residence Life if you have questions about the move-out process, or visit their website.

Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships
Phone: 540-568-7820
Location: Student Success Center, 5th Floor

If you have financial aid, or scholarships at JMU, please note that financial aid eligibility can change as a result of withdrawing from all of your classes. Students may be subject to Federal Return of Title IV Funds regulations, which could require an immediate repayment of all, or part of, the financial aid funds you received during the term from which you are withdrawing.Visit this link for more financial aid information regarding a withdraw from JMU:

University Business Office
Phone: 540-568-6505
Location: Student Success Center, 5th Floor

Before leaving the University, make sure that you have no holds on your account related to your finances. You can verify any balance on your M3 account, or contact the University Business Office directly to resolve any holds. 

Finalizing your account can take up to a month. Once your account is finalized if there is a balance, you will be mailed a billing statement. If you have a refund it will be processed through your BankMobile preference. Make sure your preference is setup before submitting your withdrawal. Follow the link for more information about refunds:

Parking Services
Phone: 540-568-3300
Location: 280 Champions Drive, Harrisonburg, VA 22807 (1st Floor of Champions Parking Deck)

If you have a student parking permit, you may qualify for a prorated refund once you withdraw from the University. Contact Parking Services for more information about the process.  

Card Services
Phone: 540-568-6446
Location: Student Success Center, 2nd Floor

If you have a Meal Plan, Dining Dollars Gold, or Flex money, you may qualify for a prorated refund once you withdraw from the University. Contact Card Services for more information about the process.

Graduate/Doctoral Students Only
The Graduate School
Phone: 540-568-6131
Location: Holland Yates Hall (formerly Madison Hall), 4th Floor

In accordance with the Graduate School’s continuous enrollment policy, all students enrolled in graduate degree programs must enroll each fall and spring semester for a minimum of one graduate credit hour. If a graduate student needs to take a temporary leave from their graduate program and intends to complete no coursework toward their degree in a given semester, the student may enroll in the leave from study course, GRAD 597. Tuition for this course is $50. Students should consult with their program director or advisor prior to enrolling in GRAD 597 to discuss the impact that taking a leave from study may have on their program of study and time limit.


Back to Top