How do I request a change of major?

All students must have at least one major with a degree (i.e. Biology - BS).  To add a 2nd major, select the major listed with no degree (i.e. Biology).

  1. Log into MyMadison, select Student Center.
  2. Select Major/Minor Change from the "Other Academic..." dropdown menu.
    1. To add a program of study select Add Major/Minor
      To narrow your search, select the plan type, change the criteria of plan description to "contains," and enter the beginning letters of the plan.
    2. To drop a program of study, select Drop Major/Minor.
    3. To update a concentration for an existing program of study, select Add/Change Concentration.
  3. After all requests are entered, select Submit Request.

Please note that any student admitted to JMU can declare one of the eight majors offered in the College of Business. However, any student enrolled in one of the B.B.A. programs must meet certain progression standards in order to continue as a business major beyond the first year of study.

Please consult the JMU Undergraduate Catalog for specific information regarding College of Business progression standards.

Why Should I major in International Business

Since modern enterprises – government, nonprofit, business – operate in a global environment, success is difficult for those who are unaware of events and cultures outside their own. The International Business major is designed to equip students not only with strong business skills, but with the ability to work comfortably in more than one corner of the global marketplace.

International Business at JMU is:
  • Understanding the global scope of business activities
  • Expanding cross-cultural awareness
  • Having competency in a second language
  • Having a global mind-set
  • Developing increased levels of cross-cultural understanding from the experience of studying or working abroad
Are there Opportunities to study in international programs?

Yes. Each student majoring in International Business is required to study or work abroad for a minimum of six weeks outside of the United States, unless express permission is granted by the Program Director for another option.

The primary language spoken in the country chosen by each student for the study/work abroad requirement is not to be English and must be the language chosen by the student to meet the International Business language requirement.

Approval of the study/work abroad requirement must be obtained from the Program Director if the chosen program is not a JMU program.

CoB Study Abroad Programs

he COB has other international programs specifically designed for COB majors.  Please visit the CoB Study Abroad page to learn more.  (IMPORTANT:  Note that these do not fulfill the International Business study abroad requirement.)

Back to Top