The deadline to declare a major is the 3rd Friday of your 3rd semester (typically September of your sophomore year).  Many majors and minors have deadlines and/or requirements before a major/minor change request is approved. To see requirements by major and minor, click here.

Steps to Declare or Change Your Major, Minor, or Pre-Professional Program

  1. Visit the Major Overview Pages or Minor Overview Pages before you declare, to learn about entrance requirements for your program(s) of interest.
  2. Log into MyMadison; select "Student Center."
  3. Select Major/Minor Change from the "Other Academic…" dropdown menu.
    • To add a program of study, select "Add Major/Minor." To narrow your search, select the plan type, change the criteria of plan description to "Contains," and enter the beginning letters of the plan. All students must have at least one major with a degree (i.e. Biology – BS). To add a 2nd major, select the major, but choose the option listed with no degree (i.e. Biology).
    • To drop a program of study, select "Drop Major/Minor."
    • To update a concentration for an existing program of study select "Add/Change Concentration."
  4. Select "Submit Request"

Need Help?

For more detailed screenshots of what you'll see in MyMadison view this tutorial video.


Contact your academic advisor, Madison Advising Peers, or the Office of the Registrar.

Incoming Students

As a new freshmen and transfer student, you will declare your major through the JMU One Book website when you sign up for orientation. This major becomes your official major on your academic record. 

Current Students

If you are a current student wishing to declare or change a major, minor, or pre-professional program, you must complete a request through MyMadison. Additional department specific information will be available once you select that academic plan. Please follow all directions and steps necessary to execute your request. Once all necessary steps are completed, the department will either approve, deny, or contact you for additional information regarding you request.

For additional assistance making this request, please view the Change/Declare a Major/Minor tutorial in MyMadison or on the tutorials website.

Back to Top