The Information Technology Help Desk serves as the central point of contact in Information Technology for the computing support needs of the JMU community of applicants, students, faculty, staff, affiliates and alumni.
Contact the Information Technology Help Desk
540-568-3555 (see Help Desk Hours to the right)
- Submit a Technology Service Request
submit a request - for a bulk e-mail, SAS software (students), affialiate computing services (email); file storage accounts, specialized Exchange (calendar, mailboxes, student employee) accounts, technology project initiations or to report computer security violations and more. Submit anytime, response within 2 business days, Mon-Fri 8am-5pm. (turnaround may be longer at the start of a semester)
- Submit a Technology Question or Issue
submit a technology question or issue - submit anytime, response within 1 business day, Mon-Fri 8am-5pm (turnaround may be longer at the start of a semester)
firstname.lastname@example.org - submit anytime, response within 2 business days Mon-Fri 8am-5pm (turnaround may be longer at the start of a semester)
- In person
4th floor of Student Success Center - for password resets during business hours (photo ID required) and Dell/Apple hardware warranty repair
Top Inquiries to the Information Technology Help Desk
- MyMadison Login Issues
- Forgot Your Dukes (@dukes.jmu.edu) Email Password? Reset it by logging in to MyMadison, clicking the MyAccounts Tab, then clicking "Get Temporary Password". Use the temporary password to log into your Dukes email, then use the temporary password again for the "old password" during the change password process.
- Applicants - haven't activated your JMU e-ID, forgot your JMU e-ID and/or pin, or need a new activation link, see our FAQs
- Dukes email - JMU email for students
Login for Your Dukes Email Account
Dukes Email Frequently Asked Questions
Connecting to Dukes Email - from a mobile device
- JMU e-ID and password FAQ - information about the what, when, where and how to active your electronic ID, change your password and more
- Hardware Repair
- Exchange - email accounts for employees
Accessing E-mail and Configuring an E-mail Client
Exchange E-mail FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions
Lynda Online Courses - Outlook, Mac Mail, Office, Windows, Mas OS and more
- JMU-Owned Computer, Printer, Mobile Device, and Software Installation - online request form
- If you are having trouble accessing an Information Technology service, check Computing Alerts and Computing News on the Computing home page.
- Before contacting the IT Help Desk, search self-help to see if a resolution to your issue is already documented.
- During peak periods (start of a semester), use a computing form to submit a new or change to a service request instead of phoning the IT Help Desk.
- Please keep in mind that all JMU computer users are subject to JMU Computing Policies and Standards.
Information to Provide the Information Technology Help Desk
- Electronic ID (your e-ID used to access MyMadison, authenicated JMU web pages and more)
- Best phone number at which to reach you
- Type of Computer (Dell Optiplex, iMac, etc.), printer or mobile device
- Operating System if applicable (ex. Windows Vista, Mac Snow Leopard, etc.)
- Name of the software/application and version in question (ex. Word 2007, Outlook 2007, Internet Explorer 8, etc.)
- Nature of the problem
- Exact wording of any error messages
- Steps taken to resolve the problem (you may wish to try our Basic Computer Troubleshooting steps prior to contacting us.)
- Urgency of your issue
- Your availability
- Location of equipment
- Dell Service Tag or Apple serial number and/or JMU ESN (the Equipment Service Number is typically a blue tag found on JMU owned computer equipment). These numbers are required for repair service.
Join our Student Help Desk Team