The Information Technology Help Desk serves as the central point of contact in Information Technology for the computing support needs of the JMU community of applicants, students, faculty, staff, affiliates and alumni.
Due to the ongoing IdM Maintenance, the changes to MyMadison, and the start of the semester, the IT Help Desk is experiencing high contact volumes (phones, emails, and walk-in). We are trying to respond as quickly as possible, but there is a significant increase in our turnaround time, possibly 3-5 business days. Please do not submit multiple email requests (unless you have resolved your own issue). If your request does not impact admissions, academics, or business operations, we ask that you hold those requests until later this month. We thank you for your understanding and patience.
Contact the Information Technology Help Desk
540-568-3555 (see Help Desk Hours to the right)
- Submit a Technology Service Request
submit a request - for a bulk e-mail, SAS software (students), affialiate computing services (email); file storage accounts, specialized Exchange (calendar, mailboxes, student employee) accounts, technology project initiations or to report computer security violations and more. Submit anytime, response within 2 business days, Mon-Fri 8am-5pm. (turnaround may be longer at the start of a semester)
- Submit a Technology Question or Issue
submit a technology question or issue - submit anytime, response within 1 business day, Mon-Fri 8am-5pm (turnaround may be longer at the start of a semester)
firstname.lastname@example.org - submit anytime, please provide your JMU e-ID, detailed description of your issue and a good contact phone number or email address; response within 2 business days Mon-Fri 8am-5pm (turnaround may be longer at the start of a semester)
- In person
4th floor of Student Success Center - for password resets during business hours (photo ID required) and Dell/Apple hardware warranty repair
Top Inquiries to the Information Technology Help Desk
- Exchange and Dukes FAQs are available for Employee and Student email systems respectively.
- If you are having trouble accessing an Information Technology service, check Computing Alerts and Computing News on the Computing home page.
- Before contacting the IT Help Desk, search self-help to see if a resolution to your issue is already documented.
- During peak periods (start of a semester), use a computing form to submit a new or change to a service request instead of phoning the IT Help Desk.
- Please keep in mind that all JMU computer users are subject to JMU Computing Policies and Standards.
Information to Provide the Information Technology Help Desk
- Electronic ID (your e-ID used to access MyMadison, authenicated JMU web pages and more)
- Best phone number at which to reach you
- Type of Computer (Dell Optiplex, iMac, etc.), printer or mobile device
- Operating System if applicable (ex. Windows Vista, Mac Snow Leopard, etc.)
- Name of the software/application and version in question (ex. Word 2007, Outlook 2007, Internet Explorer 8, etc.)
- Nature of the problem
- Exact wording of any error messages
- Steps taken to resolve the problem (you may wish to try our Basic Computer Troubleshooting steps prior to contacting us.)
- Urgency of your issue
- Your availability
- Location of equipment
- Dell Service Tag or Apple serial number and/or JMU ESN (the Equipment Service Number is typically a blue tag found on JMU owned computer equipment). These numbers are required for repair service.