Concentrations: None

Major requirements and their VCCS equivalents (and RBC equivalents if applicable)

JMU Course: DANC 142, Elementary Ballet or DANC 144, Ballroom Dance or DANC 147, Tap Dance or THEA 251, Acting I: Basic Acting

  • VCCS equivalents: DAN 166 or PED 166 or DAN 171 or PED 171 or DAN 165 (see note) or CST 131
  • RBC equivalents: No equivalent
  • NOTE: The course must be 2 credits in order to transfers as DANC 142 or 144; if 1 credit it will transfer as DANC 000.

JMU Course: DANC 245, Dance Improvisation

  • VCCS equivalents: DANC 167 or PED 167 (see note)
  • RBC equivalents: No equivalent
  • NOTE: The course must be 2 credits in order to transfers as DANC 245; if 1 credit it will transfer as DANC 000.

JMU Course: Philosophy course for the B.A. degree

  • VCCS equivalents: PHI 100, 101, 200, 227, 260 or 265
  • RBC equivalents: PHIL 101, 201, 202 or 203
  • NOTE: Not required to transfer; may be taken at JMU. Please Note: PHI 111 and 220 (VCCS) and PHIL 121 (RBC) will transfer but DO NOT count for the B.A. philosophy requirement.

JMU Course: PSYC 160, Life Span Human Development

  • VCCS equivalents: PSY 230 or PSY 231 and 232
  • RBC equivalents: PSY 250
  • NOTE: Required for students pursuing teacher licensure.

JMU Course: EDUC 200, Foundations of American Education

  • VCCS equivalents: EDU 200
  • RBC equivalents: No equivalent
  • NOTE: Required for students pursuing teacher licensure.

Advising Notes

Please Read: This major guide is a list of all possible major courses offered in the Virginia Community College System. Not all courses may be offered at your community college, and you are not required to complete all these courses in order to transfer. Rather, it’s designed to help you meet JMU major requirements before you transfer, and be better prepared to progress through the major once you arrive at JMU. Please be sure to read the advising notes for additional information on the major. 

  1. 1. Admission to the dance major is competitive and an audition/interview is required. Contact the school office by calling (540) 568-6342 or visit the School of Theatre and Dance web site for current audition information.
  2. Because of the sequencing of coursework, students who transfer with an appropriate associate degree should expect to spend approximately three years at JMU to complete this major, unless they have a solid collection of transfer credits in dance.
  3. Dance majors earn a B.A. degree. The B.A. requires intermediate proficiency in a foreign language (either through the JMU foreign language placement exam or coursework). Please note that JMU does not grant transfer credit for the 101-102 levels of a foreign language that a student studied for two or more years in high school.
  4. A philosophy course is also required for the B.A.; see course equivalents above for options. B.A. requirements may be taken at the community college or at JMU.
  5. Dance Education - students desiring PreK-12 teaching licensure in dance must complete 19 credits of additional course work in kinesiology, health science, education, psychology and 12 credits of student teaching. It is necessary to be admitted to the teacher education program prior to enrolling in professional education courses. All education students must apply and be admitted to Teacher Education. See the admission requirements and use the links below to learn more about the application process.

For more information:

Back to Top