Cover Photo Image

Any JMU student, faculty, or staff member wanting to report an incident involving a JMU student may contact OSARP to learn more about their options and our processes. If an incident is being reported by a non-JMU individual, OSARP may be able to provide a process if the incident follows the guidelines listed in the “Jurisdiction” section of the Student Handbook. Faculty/staff are also encouraged to consult our “Faculty & Staff Resources” page for more information on addressing disruptive student behavior before reporting information to OSARP. OSARP currently offers two processes to address incidents involving a JMU student:

  • Accountability Process - Used to address alleged violation(s) of university policy as outlined in the Standards and Policies section of the JMU Student Handbook. Each policy has specific details of what constitutes a violation.

  • Restorative Practices - Used to facilitate students taking active responsibility for their actions within the JMU community to repair and heal any harm created. OSARP creates a safe space for all involved participants to have their concerns heard and work with participants to help address concerns in the best possible way for them. This approach allows individual growth, while promoting community and empowering participants to repair the harm that has occurred.

If an individual is interested in learning more about the options and processes offered by OSARP, an advising meeting is scheduled for the Reporting Party (i.e., person who experienced harm as a result of the incident) with an OSARP staff advisor. During this meeting (which can be conducted in-person or virtually), the OSARP staff advisor will learn more about the incident that occurred, explore the needs of the Reporting Party, and explain the Accountability Process and Restorative Practices processes and the Reporting Party’s role in either process. The OSARP staff advisor will also review what is needed from a Reporting Party in order to pursue either process.

A Reporting Party is not required to pursue an OSARP process after their meeting; it is simply a way for the Reporting Party to ensure they have the information and resources necessary to understand their options and decide if pursuing an OSARP process is the right decision for them.

Before meeting with OSARP, a Reporting Party is encouraged to consider the needs and obligations that arise as a result of the incident and their goals for meeting with OSARP. This document can help a Reporting Party prepare for their advising appointment.

To schedule an advising meeting with OSARP staff, please contact our office.

OSARP processes should not be confused with a criminal or civil process through the local courts. If you are interested in pursuing a criminal or civil process, please contact local law enforcement and/or an attorney for advice and guidance.

Reporting Sexual Misconduct or Title IX Sexual Harassment

Individuals who want to report incidents of Sexual Misconduct or Title IX Sexual Harassment, or want to learn more about their options, should contact Title IX Office.

Reporting a Crime

If you believe a crime has been committed against you or someone in the JMU Community, please contact JMU Public Safety immediately at 540-568-6911 or visit the Public Safety website.

Our office is also separate from the criminal process and our staff members are not lawyers. For legal support, refer to the VA state bar referral service at (800) 552-7977.

Honor Council: Academic Misconduct

An OSARP alleged policy violation should not to be confused with an academic Honor Code violation. Honor Code violations are specified in the Honor Code and seen by the JMU Honor Council. For more information, visit the Honor Council website.

Reporting Discrimination, Harassment, and Retaliation (Other than Title IX Sexual Harassment and Sexual Misconduct)

Individuals who want to report incident(s) of Discrimination, Harassment, or Retaliation (see JMU Policy 1324), or want to learn more about their options, should contact the Office of Equal Opportunity. Campus access or accessibility barriers can be reported HERE.

Back to Top