Cover Photo Image

We encourage transfer students with a demonstrated track record of success at a previous institution to apply to the Honors College!

Transfer students may apply for admission to Honors through Track II. Track II students take 24 credit hours in Honors, including completion of the Honors capstone project, and must maintain good standing in the Honors College. Honors coursework undertaken at a previous institution may in some instances be accepted to fulfill JMU Honors requirements.

Learn more about the Track II curriculum.

Students who successfully complete the Track II curriculum are designated as Honors Scholars in the commencement program and on transcripts and diplomas. They also receive an Honors medallion to wear at graduation.

Honors is excellent preparation for life and work, for graduate or professional school, and other pre- and post-baccalaureate awards and opportunities.

Transfer students may be eligible for second-year Honors housing in Shenandoah Hall or Apartments on Grace.


Transfer applications for the Honors College are accepted on a rolling basis. There is no deadline. However, applicants should wait to apply to Honors until AFTER being admitted to JMU. 

Transfer info
Application Criteria

Transfer students are admitted on the basis of grades from previous institution(s) and strength of application essay. Transfer students typically have a cumulative GPA above 3.5 at all previous institutions, but there is no required minimum cumulative GPA. Honors coursework taken at previous institution(s) may in some instances be accepted to fulfill JMU Honors requirements. 

In most cases, the minimum length of study required for students to complete the Track II Honors curriculum is 5 semesters at JMU. However, it may be possible for students to complete Honors in four semesters depending on the choice of major, additional minors, and other commitments. Students who anticipate graduating in four semesters should explain in the optional "additional information" section of the application how they expect to complete their Honors coursework within their anticipated timeframe. It is always advised that you contact the Honors advisor for assistance in planning and projecting your time to degree.

Submit the Honors transfer application after receiving admission to JMU. After submission of the Honors transfer application, send unofficial copies of all college-level transcripts to Applicants who are enrolled at another institution at the time of application may be provisionally admitted to the Honors College, pending successful completion of coursework at the end of the semester. An updated transcript should be sent to when available.

  • For more information on transfer admissions to the Honors College, please contact
  • For information on transfer admissions to JMU, please visit the Office of Admissions.
Partnerships with Virginia Community Colleges

Students in the honors programs at select Virginia community colleges may transfer directly into the JMU Honors College. 

Back to Top