Cover Photo Image

To apply, we must receive the following by the application deadline to consider your application:

  • Online application and $70 application fee
  • All official college transcripts (this includes a college transcript for any dual enrollment classes taken during high school)
  • Final official high school transcript or copy of GED certificate
  • AP/IB/AICE test scores sent from the testing agency for credit review
  • Signed Letter of Intent (if you are a community college student applying under the Guaranteed Admissions Agreement)

Your application consists of several parts, some will arrive in our office electronically and some will arrive as paper copies. Please be certain that all materials can be clearly identified to assist us in matching the parts of your application. The Admissions Committee cannot review incomplete applications. We urge you to begin the process early to allow enough time to complete the application. All items necessary to complete the application must be postmarked by the corresponding deadline dates.

JMU does not accept applications from students who are seeking a second Bachelor's degree. If you have previously received a Bachelor's degree and want to continue your education, you could either apply to one of our Graduate School programs or apply as non-degree seeking student to our Professional & Continuing Education programs.

Additional information for: Homeschool Applicants | Military Applicants

Required Information:

Online application and fee

Please use our online application and pay the application fee. This fee is not refundable and will not be credited to your account.

Official transcripts

Send official transcripts from all previously attended colleges. Concealing previous attendance at a post-secondary institution is cause for canceling admission and registration. You must also send transcripts from any dual enrollment coursework from high school.

Official high school transcripts or GED results

All applicants must submit an official high school transcript or an official copy of GED results, regardless of the number of years out of high school.

Intent to Enroll (for select community college students)

For students applying under the Guaranteed Admissions Agreement, please send a letter of intent to enroll available from the counselor at your current school.

Optional Information:

Personal Statement

You may complete a personal statement discussing your personal goals as they relate to your interest in transferring to JMU.

Send paper application materials to:

James Madison University
Office of Admissions
MSC 0101
100 East Grace Street
Harrisonburg, VA 22807

Checking Your Status

You can monitor the status of your application via MyMadison. Admissions decisions are also posted here — you will not receive a notification in the mail. Instructions for accessing this site will be e-mailed to you within 3-5 days of receiving your online application. View the Video Tutorial


Back to Top