If you are:

· a student who wants to take a few courses at JMU

· a person seeking professional development, teacher recertification, or self-enrichment

Complete and submit the Non-degree Seeking Student Application Form, including information about residency. Click here to apply. Choose “Create Your Account,” and then proceed to “Non-Degree Seeking Student Application.” When you submit your application, there will be a $20 application fee which can be paid online with a credit or debit card, or by electronic check. *Please note that payment by electronic check requires a 6 day holding period before your application will be received by Professional & Continuing Education.

Applications take 3-5 business days to be processed.

Note: If you are registering for a class through MyMadison please remember that you not only need to allow enough time for your application to be processed but you also need to be aware of the last day that you can add a class. Please consider this before filling out an application. Registration deadlines can be found at the registrar’s site - www.jmu.edu/registrar.

You will remain active as a non-degree seeking student for one year* (fall, spring, and summer) as long as you enroll in a class each semester.  If you do not enroll in a class each semester you will be discontinued as a student and will need to reapply.  All non-degree seeking students are discontinued at the end of summer and need to reapply for the following year.

*Year – begins in fall and ends at the end of summer semester.


The Adult Degree Program is designed for adults 22 and older who have begun a bachelor’s degree but not completed it. All students in the Adult Degree Program are Individualized Studies majors. Before applying to the Adult Degree Program, please contact adp@jmu.edu. Once all transcripts have been received and reviewed, you will receive the direct link to the application. 

Please visit The Graduate School’s website at https://www.jmu.edu/grad/

To sign-up for Workforce Development certificate programs listed on https://www.jmu.edu/pce/programs/all/professional-development/, click on the program page to enroll.


For Graduate Credit Certificate Programs:

Complete the Certificate Program Application form online and indicate the appropriate certificate program on the form. If you intend to take all the coursework for the certificate, submit the application with a $60 one-time application fee; if you choose this option, you will just need to contact Professional & Continuing Education before the start of each semester to be registered in the next course. Students who have not taken a course in their certificate program in a 12 month period will be deactivated, and will need to submit a new certificate program application in order to be reactivated. Once your application has been reviewed by the program director, you will be able to view your admission decision in the Applicant Center. This process can take up to two weeks. If you have questions about the certificate application process contact The Graduate School.


You must have an application code in order to access this form. At the prompt, enter the registration code that you have been given to access the form. Complete all information asked for on the form, including information about your residency. The application is available at https://www.applyweb.com/apply/jmundsem/

Notice of Availability: Annual Security and Fire Safety Report

The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report contains information regarding campus security and personal safety including topics such as: crime prevention, the university police law enforcement authority, crime reporting policies, disciplinary procedures, protocols for the immediate notification of students and staff upon confirmation of a significant emergency on campus and other matters of importance related to security and safety. 

It is available electronically. You may obtain a copy of any of this report by contacting the Office of Public Safety, MSC 6810, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA  22807 or request that a copy be mailed to you by calling (540)568-6769/6913.

Back to Top