Cover Photo Image

Courses Likely to Transfer to JMU

The Office of the Registrar will complete an evaluation of credit after an offer of admission has been made. Each course taken at another institution will be evaluated individually, and credit will be allowed only for equivalent college courses offered at JMU in which a grade of "C" or better has been earned. A "C-" will not transfer. 

Students Transferring from a Virginia Community College 

You may also want to review courses that will count towards your major as you are progressing through your VCCS or Richard Bland Associate Degree to help in your transition to JMU. 

If you are receiving an Associate Degree

JMU will waive general education requirements and grant junior-level status to admitted students who have completed an Associate in Arts, an Associate in Science, or an Associates in Arts and Sciences degree at Richard Bland College or any Virginia community college. Read more about approved associate degrees »

In addition, Associate Degrees with a major in General Studies programs at the following community colleges have been approved by the State Committee on Transfer for recognition under the conditions of the State Policy on Transfer:

  • Central Virginia Community College
  • Dabney S. Lancaster Community College
  • Germanna Community College
  • John Tyler Community College
  • Lord Fairfax Community College
  • Mountain Empire Community College
  • New River Community College
  • Patrick Henry Community College
  • Piedmont Virginia Community College
  • Reynolds Community College
  • Southside Virginia Community College
  • Southwest Virginia Community College
  • Tidewater Community College
  • Virginia Highlands Community College
  • Virginia Western Community College
  • Wytheville Community College
If you are not receiving an Associate Degree

If you transfer to JMU from a Virginia community college or Richard Bland College without earning an associate's degree, your credits will be evaluated on a course-by-course basis as specified in the JMU Transfer Guide for Virginia community colleges and Richard Bland College

Students Transferring from a Non- Virginia Community College or a 4-year College or University

You should also review the courses that will usually count toward JMU's General Education requirements.

Back to Top