Cover Photo Image
Grading Policies

 Will the Virginia Community College or Richard Bland College class transfer and apply to general education and appropriate degree requirements if grade of P+ is awarded in spring 2020? (indicates student earned a C or better in course.)

If there is an equivalent course at JMU, a P+ at a Virginia community college and Richard Bland College will transfer to JMU and satisfy elective, general education, and major coursework as appropriate.

 How will a grade of P+ on a spring course impact the GAA if it requires a letter grade higher than a C on any courses?

Students that are enrolling for the Summer or Fall 2020 semesters will not be impacted negatively from this change. For students applying for Spring 2021 or later, please view the update at: When JMU looks for courses that impact progression in a major or minor the P+ will be read as a C or better.

 How will a grade of P+ on a spring course be treated if the course is a pre-req for a major-specific course that normally requires a minimum grade to enroll in the major course?

The student will need to talk to the academic unit to obtain an override if appropriate.

 How will a grade of P+ (grade of C or better) or P- (grade of D) impact eligibility for the Transfer Grant?

Eligibility for the College Transfer Grant is set forth in the application and is based upon the overall GPA, not individual grades.

Transfer Policies

 When should I request my transcript?

For students enrolling in the Summer or Fall 2020, final transcripts should be sent to JMU as soon as final grades are posted for the spring semester. Students that are earning a transferable Associate Degree should request a transcript once their degree has been confirmed.

 How will I register for my fall classes at the 4-year?

Students will enroll for fall classes during the orientation process.

 What if my 4-year orientation is cancelled?

Summer Springboard Orientation will be held virtually on the date you reserve when you complete the Orientation Reservation and Declaring A Major step in The One Book. To complete The One Book steps visit Orientation will offer programming throughout the summer to assist you in connecting with your peers, academics, and campus resources.

 When will I know if I am accepted at the 4-year?

You will be notified by the Office of Admissions via email and through your MyMadison portal. Almost all decisions have been made and posted.

 When will I know if I get housing at the 4-year?

Once students pay their deposit, they will begin to work through the next steps through the JMU OneBook. Part of that process is to complete an on-campus housing contract. Housing for transfer students is available, but may be limited. 

 Is it too late to apply for financial aid?

It is not too late to apply for financial aid, however you should fill out your FAFSA as soon as possible. If you haven’t done so, complete the 2020-21 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at If you already have a 2020-21 FAFSA on file, then log back into it and add JMU as a school to receive your application. This will allow the Department of Education to send your FAFSA data to JMU.

 What if my financial status has changed significantly, can I apply for more aid? How?

You can review information about this at the Financial Aid Appeals (Professional Judgment) section of the website for the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships.

 What if I cannot pay my admissions deposit when it is due?

If a student is not able to submit a deposit for financial reasons, they should contact the Office of Admissions ( directly, to request an enrollment deposit deferral or to discuss partial deposit options.

 Can I still submit an application to the 4-year?

Due to the impact of COVID-19, JMU will allow a limited number of competitive transfer applicants to apply for the Fall 2020 semester. To be considered, email with your rationale for applying later and attach your unofficial transcripts for high school and all colleges attended. If we feel you would be competitive, we will follow up with further instructions on how to submit your application.

 Can I request an unofficial evaluation of my transcript to see how credits will apply to my prospective major? How?

The Registrar’s Office does an official evaluation of your courses once you have been offered admission. This is posted in the student’s MyMadison Account after the admission decision is posted. Students that are just exploring the opportunity to transfer to JMU in the future can explore potential credit equivalencies through our Transfer Credit Equivalency Guide.

 Any additional transfer information you wish to include for your transfer students?

Students are encouraged to check out our Virtual CHOICES Admitted Student Open House for academic presentations, online tours, and chats with various departments across campus.

Back to Top