Concentrations: -

Major requirements and their VCCS equivalents (and RBC equivalents if applicable)

JMU Course: WRTC 103, Critical Reading and Writing

  • VCCS equivalents: ENG 112 (ENG 111 is the prerequisite to 112)
  • RBC equivalents: ENGL 101
  • NOTE: Required for admission to Teacher Education.

JMU Course: PSYC 160, Human Growth and Development

  • VCCS equivalents: PSY 230, or PSY 231 and 232
  • RBC equivalents: PSY 250
  • NOTE: Required for admission to Teacher Education.

JMU Course: EDU 200, Foundations of American Education

  • VCCS equivalents: EDU 200
  • RBC equivalents: No equivalent
  • NOTE: Required for admission to Teacher Education.

Advising Notes

Please Read: This major guide is a list of all possible major courses offered in the Virginia Community College System. Not all courses may be offered at your community college, and you are not required to complete all these courses in order to transfer. Rather, it’s designed to help you meet JMU major requirements before you transfer, and be better prepared to progress through the major once you arrive at JMU. Please be sure to read the advising notes for additional information on the major. 

  1. All education students must apply and be admitted to Teacher Education. See the admission requirements and use the links below to learn more about the application process. 
  2. Please Note: Students have a choice between the 4-year Secondary Education major and the 5-year M.A.T. Secondary Education program. The 4-year major is only available to transfer students who plan to graduate from JMU in 2023 or later. For most associate degree completers, this will be students entering JMU in fall 2021. Students transferring to JMU after one year of college may choose this program beginning fall 2020. Associate degree completers entering JMU in fall 2020 will complete the 5-year M.A.T. program (major in content area, minor in Secondary Education).
  3. Secondary Education majors (students completing the 4-year program) must double major with their licensure content area: English, History or Political Science/Social Studies or Mathematics. Check the content area major guide for math recommendations. English and History do not require a specific math, so any transferable math is acceptable.
  4. English, History, and Political Science are B.A. degrees. If you are completing the 5-year M.A.T. program, or one of these is listed as your first major under the 4-year program, you must complete the B.A. degree requirements. If, under the 4-year program, you list Secondary Education as your first major, you must complete the B.S. degree requirements.

For more information:

Back to Top