Concentrations: None

Major requirements and their VCCS equivalents (and RBC equivalents if applicable)

JMU Course: GEOL 102, Environmental Earth or 110, 110L, Physical Geology

  • VCCS equivalents: GOL 105, 106 or 110 or ENV 121 or NAS 101 and 102
  • RBC equivalents: No equivalent

JMU Course: GEOL 211, Introduction to Oceanography

  • VCCS equivalents: GOL 111 or MAR 101
  • RBC equivalents: No equivalent

JMU Course: GEOL 320, Meteorology

  • VCCS equivalents: NAS 125
  • RBC equivalents: No equivalent

JMU Course: BIO 140, 140L Foundations of Biology I

  • VCCS equivalents: BIO 101
  • RBC equivalents: BIO 101
  • NOTE: See advising note #1

JMU Course: CHEM 131, 131L, General Chemistry I

  • VCCS equivalents: CHM 111
  • RBC equivalents: CHEM 101
  • NOTE: See advising note #1.

JMU Course: PHYS 140, 140L, College Physics I

  • VCCS equivalents: PHY 201
  • RBC equivalents: PHYS 101
  • NOTE: See advising note #1

JMU Course: BIO 150, 150L Foundations of Biology II or CHEM 132, 132L, General Chemistry II or PHYS 150, 150L, College Physics II

  • VCCS equivalents: BIO 102 or CHM 112 or PHY 202
  • RBC equivalents: BIO 102 or CHEM 102 or PHYS 102
  • NOTE: See advising note #1

JMU Course: MATH 205, Introductory Calculus or MATH 235, Calculus I

  • VCCS equivalents: MTH 261 or MTH 263
  • RBC equivalents: MATH 200 or 251

JMU Course: PSYC 160, Life Span Human Development

  • VCCS equivalents: PSY 230 or 231 and 232
  • RBC equivalents: PSY 250
  • NOTE: Required for students pursuing teacher licensure.

JMU Course: EDUC 200, Foundations of American Education

  • VCCS equivalents: EDU 200
  • RBC equivalents: No equivalent
  • NOTE: Required for students pursuing teacher licensure.

JMU Course: Philosophy course for the B.A. degree

  • VCCS equivalents: PHI 100, 101, 200, 227, 260 or 265
  • RBC equivalents: PHIL 101, 201, 202 or 203
  • NOTE: Not required to transfer; may be taken at JMU. Please Note: 111 and 220 (VCCS) and PHIL 121 (RBC) will transfer but DO NOT count for the B.A. philosophy requirement.

Advising Notes

Please Read: This major guide is a list of all possible major courses offered in the Virginia Community College System. Not all courses may be offered at your community college, and you are not required to complete all these courses in order to transfer. Rather, it’s designed to help you meet JMU major requirements before you transfer, and be better prepared to progress through the major once you arrive at JMU. Please be sure to read the advising notes for additional information on the major.

  1. Students are required to complete at least 16 hours of cognate science credit outside geology, with at least one course from biology, physics and chemistry. Students can meet that requirement at the community college by choosing from the above science and math courses.
  2. Earth Science majors earn a B.A. degree. The B.A. requires intermediate proficiency in a foreign language (either through the JMU foreign language placement exam or coursework). 
  3. A philosophy course is also required for the B.A.; see course equivalents above for options. B.A. requirements may be taken at the community college or at JMU.
  4. Students seeking teacher licensure in earth science must also complete the pre-professional secondary education program that leads to a Master of Arts in Teaching degree (5-year program). All education students must apply and be admitted to Teacher Education. See the admission requirements and use the links below to learn more about the application process. 

Updated 5/23

For more information:

Back to Top