I just received a citation that I believe was not deserved. What should I do?

You may submit an appeal online by clicking Appeal a Parking Citation under Faculty & Staff Resources. Appeals must be filed within 10 calendar days of the date that the citation was issued. An appeals committee consisting of faculty, staff and students at James Madison University will review your appeal. A decision will be sent to your JMU email address. Employees of Parking Services are not involved in the appeals process and do not serve on the appeals committee. It may take several weeks to hear back from the Appeals Committee depending on the Appeals Committee's hearing schedule and the volume of pending appeals.

 If I turn on my emergency flashers, will I still receive a parking citation?

Yes, an illegally parked vehicle will receive a citation with or without emergency flashers in use.

 My parking permit has been lost or stolen. What should I do?

Contact Parking Services immediately. There is a $10 reissue fee to replace a lost permit. When a parking permit is reported stolen, a police report must be filed. The police report number must be provided to Parking Services before a replacement permit will be issued at no charge.

 If I have an accessible parking permit or plates, am I required to display a JMU parking permit?

Yes, you must display a valid JMU parking permit in conjunction with your accessible parking permit or plates whenever your vehicle is parked on campus.

 What forms of payment do you accept?

Parking Services accepts cash, checks, MasterCard, Visa, Discover, American Express, FLEX, Apple Pay and Android Pay. We do not accept coins.

Employee parking permit fees are paid by payroll deduction.

 My vehicle has broken down on campus. What should I do?

Disabled vehicles should be reported to Parking Services immediately at 540.568.3300. If Parking Services is closed report disabled vehicles to the Office of Public Safety at 540.568.6912. Arrangements should be made to repair the vehicle or remove it from campus within 24 hours of notification. Disabled vehicles that present a danger to life or property may be towed at the owner or operator’s expense.

 Why do I have to pay for parking?

Parking Services relies on permit fees and citation revenue to support the costs of operating our department including but not limited to: construction of new parking areas, maintenance of existing parking areas, personnel, snow removal, lighting, etc.

 I forgot my parking permit or left it in another vehicle. What can I do?

Come to Parking Services to obtain a temporary permit. All vehicles parked on university-owned or leased property are required to display a valid JMU parking permit.

 What do I do if a meter is malfunctioning?

Do not park at a malfunctioning parking meter. A vehicle parked at a malfunctioning parking meter is subject to a $25 fine. If you encounter a malfunctioning parking meter, please report it to Parking Services immediately at 540.568.3300. Parking citations received at a malfunctioning meters prior to notification will not be dismissed.

 I don't generally drive to campus but occasionally I need to due to unforeseen circumstances. What can I do when this happens?

Temporary parking permits are available for $5 a day to employees who do not purchase an annual permit. Temporary permits may be purchased on the day they are needed and may be issued for more than one day at a time.

Scratch-off permits are available at a cost of $5 per day and may be purchased in advance and used when needed. The scratch-off permit is valid for one day (12:00 AM to 11:59:59 PM). The appropriate month and day must be completely scratched off when the permit is displayed to be considered valid.

Contact Parking Services at 540.568.3300 if you have additional questions.

 If I need to load or unload heavy items, where can I park?

You may pick up a temporary loading/unloading permit from Parking Services. There is no charge for a temporary loading/unloading permit if you already possess a valid JMU parking permit. The fee for a temporary loading/unloading permit is $3 if you do not currently have a valid JMU parking permit. You may not create your own space, park on sidewalks or grass to gain closer access to a building.

 My vehicle is in for service and I have a loaner or rental. What should I do?

Bring the registration or rental agreement for the loaner vehicle to Parking Services to obtain a temporary permit.

 I no longer need my permit. What should I do?

In order to stop payroll deductions, you will need to return the permit to Parking Services.  You can either drop it off at the office or mail it, along with a note asking us to stop your deduction, to us at MSC 1301.  

 When are parking regulations enforced?

Parking regulations are enforced 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

 If I leave a note of my vehicle explaining why I am parking in a particular location, will I still receive a parking ticket?

Yes, notes left on vehicle windshields are not justification to park illegally. Enforcement officers will disregard notes left on vehicles.

 Do I need a permit for parking when campus is "closed"?

Parking regulations are enforced 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. This includes summer sessions, breaks and holidays.

 How do I know where I can park with my permit?

Purple Zone Permit Lots: all university parking lots unless otherwise specified. Refer to posted signs for additional information.

You may also utilize the Campus Map, the Lot Search and the Lot Directory.

If you are at all uncertain about whether or not it is appropriate to park your vehicle at a particular location, contact Parking Services at 540.568.3300 to inquire before parking your vehicle.

 What do I do if I have a new vehicle or license plate?

Faculty and staff members who have purchased a new vehicle or are driving a vehicle other than the one(s) associated with their parking permit at the time of purchase must register the new vehicle with Parking Services via the Add or Remove a Vehicle form under the Faculty & Staff Resources section of our website.

Rental or loaner vehicles cannot be added to employee hangtags. If you have a rental or loaner vehicle, bring the registration or rental agreement for the loaner vehicle to Parking Services to obtain a temporary permit.

 Can I register more than one vehicle?

Yes, faculty and staff members may have multiple vehicles associated with their parking permit and transfer the permit between the vehicles. To associate additional vehicles with your permit utilize the Add or Remove a Vehicle form under the Faculty & Staff Resources section of our website.

 May I lend/give my permit to someone else?

No, parking permits are non-transferable.  A vehicle displaying a permit that was issued to someone else may be subject to a citation. 

 Where should I park if I have an accessible permit but all the accessible parking spaces are occupied?

Vehicles displaying both a valid accessible parking permit and JMU permit (excluding Remote Lot permits) may park in any general space in any lot, at parking meters without needing to feed the meter and may park in specially marked spaces unless there is a sign that specifically prohibits handicap parking.

 I am hosting an event on campus that will include off-campus guests that require parking. What should I do?

Go to the “Event Parking” section of our website and fill out the Visitor Permit Request Form (5 or fewer visitors) or Event Parking Request Form (6 or more visitors) to make arrangements for guest parking.  Please submit event parking requests at least ten (10) days in advance of the scheduled start time of the event.

 Additional questions?

Email your questions to parkingservices@jmu.edu or call 540.568.3300.

Back to Top