Cover Photo Image

Students in the Honors Program at Piedmont Virginia Community College (PVCC) may transfer directly into the JMU Honors College as Track II Honors Scholars, due to a special arrangement between the two institutions. 


To be eligible for admission into the JMU Honors College as a Track II Honors Scholar, PVCC students must:

  • Be admitted to JMU.
  • Complete an Associate of Arts (AA) or a transfer-oriented Associate of Science (AS) Degree at PVCC.
  • Earn the PVCC Honors Diploma based on 15 credits of honors courses completed with a GPA of 3.50 or better.
  • Present a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.50 (4.0 scale) upon application to JMU and upon graduation from PVCC.
  • If a student has attended multiple institutions, they must have earned a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.50 on a 4.0 scale at PVCC and all previous institutions.
  • All work attempted at PVCC and any other institution(s) attended will be included in the GPA considered by JMU. The only exception is that, in compliance with JMU policy, a student is allowed to repeat up to two different courses where the initial grade earned will not be included in the grade point average calculation. A student who has repeated more than two courses is not eligible to apply to JMU through the Guaranteed Admission Agreement but is eligible to apply through the traditional transfer admissions process.
  • Eligible transfer students must provide transcripts from all institutions attended.
  • JMU will evaluate credit granted by Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), and Cambridge International examinations for possible credit; such credit will be granted only if examination scores meet established JMU criteria in place at the time the student enrolls. JMU does not evaluate, or grant credit for, College Level Examination Program (CLEP) examinations.
  • Meet with the academic advisor of the JMU Honors College.

Students who did not complete the PVCC Honors curriculum may still be admitted to the JMU Honors College through the normal transfer application process.

Transfer Credits

JMU Honors will recognize 12 Honors credits completed at PVCC and apply them as 12 credits of Honors electives at JMU. This will satisfy the Track II requirement for 12 credits of Honors electives.

PVCC transfer students will complete 12 additional credits at JMU to satisfy the Track II Honors curriculum: 6 credits of Honors seminars and 6 credits of the Honors capstone project.

How to Apply

After admission to JMU, please send unofficial copies of all college-level transcripts to Applicants who are still enrolled at PVCC may be provisionally admitted to the JMU Honors College, pending successful completion of coursework at the end of the semester. An updated transcript should be sent to when available.

Eligible students do not need to submit the Honors transfer application.

There are no deadlines to apply for direct admission to the Honors College.

For more information, please contact

Back to Top