Advising and General Information
How do I declare a Hospitality Management or Sport Recreation Management Major?

To declare a Hospitality Management or Sport and Recreation Management major, you must attend one of our New Major Orientations, scheduled periodically throughout the semester. Please visit the Hart School advising page to sign up for an orientation session.

You must also initiate your major change in MyMadison. It will be approved after you have attended an orientation session. Students must be fully admitted into the major to enroll in non-Foundation HM or SRM courses.

How do I contact my advisor?

If you are a Sport & Recreation Management or Hospitality Mangement major, your advisor is Sara Hodges. Please see the main advising page for contact information for both Sara and her assistant, Sevinj Iskandarova. Email is generally the best way to contact either of them.

How do I make an appointment with an advisor?

We use an online scheduling calendar which can be found on the main advising page. Please note that during the busiest times of the year (beginnings and ends of semesters, advance registration, etc), our schedules will fill up quickly, and you may need to make your appointment several weeks in advance.

How can I help my advisor?

Your advisor is here to help explain university policies and requirements to you and work through challenging situations with you. However, it is your responsibility to familiarize yourself with existing tools like your catalog, advising FAQs, and other informational documents. It is much easier for your advisor to help you when you begin by helping yourself.

Use good grammar. Remember that you are learning how to conduct yourself professionally; always spell-check your emails and remember to include your name at the end. Your advisor was an English major; not only are text speak or typos in an email very unprofessional - they really, really bug her.

Include details. What error information did MyMadison give you? What section of a class were you hoping to enroll in? The more details you can give, the better your advisor will be able to assist you.

Don’t re-send emails. Your advisor gets to emails as quickly as she can; forwarding the exact same email you already sent because you feel she hasn’t responded quickly enough will get your email sent to the bottom of the list. If you are concerned that your email has malfunctioned and didn’t actually send, write a new email explaining that as you re-ask your question.

Stop by and introduce yourself! We are a big major, and it is incredibly helpful when you establish a relationship with your advisor early on. Plus, she keeps candy in her office, so why wouldn’t you say hi?

How can I learn about and track my major requirements?

JMU provides a number of resources for this. The JMU Catalog should be your first stop in learning what classes you are required to complete for your degree (please be sure you are viewing your appropriate catalog year). MyMadison has an Academic Requirements feature to help you track your progress. Academic advising is available via both Hart School AdvisingCareer and Academic Planning, and Madison Peer Advising. Please remember that, per the JMU Catalog, “responsibility for meeting all curricular and other graduation requirements rests with the students.”

How can I learn about important deadlines?

University deadlines can be found on the Registrar’s website. Certain deadlines will also be announced on our main advising page.

Where can I find someone else's contact information?

For other contact information, consult the JMU Campus Directory.

Enrolling in Classes
What is the difference between "dropping" and "withdrawing from" a class?

Dropping a class removes it from your schedule and erases it from your transcript. Withdrawing from a class records a grade of "W" to your transcript, which does not affect your GPA or add to your credit hours. A class can only be dropped in the first few days of a semester. Once the drop deadline has passed, you may withdraw from a class until the course adjustment deadline. After the course adjustment deadline, withdrawals are at the discretion of the instructor.

How do I drop a class?

To drop a class before the add/drop deadline (typically during the second week of classes), simply log into MyMadison and choose "drop." You will see a green checkmark confirming the drop.

How do I withdraw from a class?

To withdraw from a class before the course adjustment deadline (typically midway through the semester), simply log into MyMadison and drop the class. This will result in a withdrawal. Withdrawing after the course adjustment deadline can only be done with special permission from the instructor of the course, and results in a grade of WP (indicating passing at the time of withdrawal) or WF (indicating failing at the time of withdrawal). If the instructor grants the request, he or she will assign the grade at the end of the semester; no further action is needed from the student. WP/WF grades do not affect your GPA.

How does repeating a class work?

There are two types of repeat options: "repeat credit" and "repeat/forgive." Repeat credit averages both grades for the class together, although the credits are only counted once. You may use the repeat credit option as many times as you like. Repeat/forgive replaces your first grade with the second grade (regardless of which is the better grade), and may only be used twice in your career at JMU.

To enroll in a class you wish to repeat, add the class to your cart and choose the appropriate repeat option from the pulldown menu titled "Repeat Options."

How do overrides work?

An override is permission to enroll in a course that is currently closed, or for which you do not meet the registration requirements. 

All students seeking overrides into Hart School classes must submit an Override Request Form in person during a designated window of time. Override requests are not processed first-come/first-served, but are subject to the review and discretion of the department; priority is given to students who request overrides within the given time period, who have followed their catalog requirements, and who have declared the major in a timely fashion.

Override policies vary from department to department. Generally speaking, for other departments at JMU, the first place to go for an override is the instructor of the course you wish to enroll in. 

Please note that the College of Business utilizes a waitlist system within MyMadison, and does not grant overrides for any reason.

Can you enroll me in a class?

Your academic advisor cannot enroll you in a class - except for incredibly rare circumstances, you are the only person with enrollment capabilities. While an advisor, faculty member, or other university employee may be able to grant you an override, you must enroll yourself in any class you wish to complete.

I'm having trouble enrolling in a class; can you help me?

For HM and SRM courses, possibly. You will need to communicate the error message you are getting from MyMadison, as well as what steps you have already taken to investigate/correct the issue. Please be as specific as possible. For all courses outside our department, please contact either the department offering the course, or the Registrar.

My classes are all closed! What should I do?
  • Don't panic.
  • If the class you want has a waitlist option, make sure you are on the waitlist.
  • Check to see if there are any other courses open that will fulfill your requirements.
  • Contact the professor or department of a class to submit an override request.
  • Keep checking MyMadison. Classes open and close all the time as students change their schedules; you may check just as someone drops the class you want.
Practicums, Internships and Work Experience
How do I prepare for and enroll in a practicum or internship (SRM Majors Only)

Prior to the semester in which you want to complete your practicum or internship, you must attend an informational meeting which will cover requirements and procedures for completion. After securing a position, you must have your supervisor fill out an Agency Acceptance Form and turn it in to the practicum/internship coordinator. You will then be sent permission to enroll in the course. Practicums and internships are kept closed on MyMadison; you must uncheck the "open classes only" box when searching for the course. You do not need to be local to JMU for either the practicum or the internship.

The current practicum coordinator is Dr. Dave Shonk.

What is the difference between the two HM work experiences (HM310 and HM402)?

HM 310 is a recognition of your completion of 600 hours of work in the industry. This work is completed independently and logged with our internship supervisor. The work should be mostly (or entirely) completed by the time you enroll in HM 310. Please visit the HM 310 website for more information.

HM 402 is a formal, supervised internship. You must be enrolled for credit in the class at the time of employment, and there will be required coursework along the way (journals, projects, etc). You do not need to be local to JMU during your internship. HM 402 is completed during the summer prior to your senior year.

Transferring Credits
How do I transfer a course from another school?

Please see the Registrar's page on transfer credit.

Who can sign my Permission to Take Courses for Transfer Credit form for HM or SRM courses?

Set up an appointment with our interim director, Neil Marrin to review the course for approval. Bring a completed PTC form along with a description of the course that you wish to transfer. You can generally find course descriptions on the website of the school offering the course.

What are university electives?

University electives are courses you may choose based on interest, rather than a required set of classes. Electives help bridge the gap between your credit total after Gen Eds and major requirements (usually 107-110), and the required minimum for graduation (120). You may decide to “spend” these credits on another major or minor, or simply take a sampling of other courses that interest you. University electives differ from "program electives" in that program electives (for majors or minors) must come from an approved list.

What electives should I take? Where can I find electives?

Electives can be literally anything that you receive credit for, as long as it is not already required for your major. Think about other subjects you are interested in, and see what JMU offers. Look at the list of minors and check out the classes that make up the minors that catch your eye. Take a KIN activity course, such as racquetball, ballroom dance, or scuba diving. Don’t be shy about asking for overrides – mention specifically that you are looking for an elective. Many professors are happy to give open seats to enthusiastic students!

Back to Top