How to change drive letter assignments in Windows 2000/XP(Detailed Instructions also available)
To change an existing drive letter on a drive, or on a USB device when it does not show up after being connected, follow these steps:
- Log on as a member of the Administrators group.
- Right-click on My Computer, then click on Manage.
- Click Disk Management in the left pane under Storage.
- Right-click the drive, or the USB device that you want to assign a new drive letter to, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
- Click Edit/Change.
- Click Assign the following drive letter if it is not already selected, from the drop down select the drive letter that you want to use, and then click OK.
- Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the drive letter change.