Dell Diagnostics is a set of software tools that are included on a hidden diagnostic partition with all Dell Desktops and Laptops. These are handy for diagnosing suspected hardware issues. This may not work if the hard drive has already been replaced.
How to run hardware diagnostics:
- At startup press F12 to get to Boot Menu
- Select Diagnostics from menu choices (if you need to run from CD there is a menu choice to do so here)
- Press enter and watch for any test to fail (take note of failures)
- Press Y at color bar display
- When test is finished it will ask to boot into diagnostics partition
- Select either Express or thorough test and take note of any errors (if it finds any errors - take note and select yes to continue to test)