Concentrations: None

Major requirements and their VCCS equivalents (and RBC equivalents if applicable)

NOTE: The word "AND" between VCCS course numbers indicate JMU credit will be awarded for the completion of the VCCS sequence.

JMU Course: HM 211, Overview of Hospitality and Tourism Management

  • VCCS equivalents: HRI 101 and 102 or HRI 154
  • RBC equivalents: No equivalent

JMU Course: ECON 201, Introduction to Microeconomics

  • VCCS equivalents: ECO 202
  • RBC equivalents: ECON 202

JMU Course: COB/CIS 204, Computer Information Systems

  • VCCS equivalents: See note
  • RBC equivalents: No equivalent
  • NOTE: VCCS Transfer credit for COB 204:
    Northern Virginia CC and Southside CC: ITE 100
    Blue Ridge CC, Laurel Ridge CC and Piedmont VA CC: ITE 120

JMU Course: HM 203

  • VCCS equivalents: BUS 241
  • RBC equivalents: No equivalent

Advising Notes

Please Read: This major guide is a list of all possible major courses offered in the Virginia Community College System. Not all courses may be offered at your community college, and you are not required to complete all these courses in order to transfer. Rather, it’s designed to help you meet JMU major requirements before you transfer, and be better prepared to progress through the major once you arrive at JMU. Please be sure to read the advising notes for additional information on the major.

1. HM students are required to complete 600 hours of hospitality work experience prior to enrolling in HM 333 at JMU. We strongly recommend you complete the hours prior to transferring to JMU. Read more about the industry-related work experience requirement.

2. HM students also earn a minor in General Business. Differential tuition for College of Business majors/minors: Students will be charged an additional $50 per credit for all College of Business courses (with the exception of ECON 200). Read more about the College of Business differential tuition.

For more information:

Back to Top