Feature Image

JMU Chapter 35 Brochure

To apply, complete the following requirements:

Step 1

To apply, complete VA Form 22-5490 Dependents Application for VA Education Benefits through the va.gov. Instructions on how to complete the 5490 application can be found here. The application is sent directly to VA.

Step 2

Complete Veterans Educational Benefits Student Agreement Form with both student and parent signatures.

  • Complete page 1, the Chapter 35 section on page 3 (and VMSDEP section if applicable) and sign/date on page 4.
  • For incoming students - if starting the benefit in the Fall term, complete in June/July AFTER attending summer orientation and submit with the Step 3 document.
  • if current student - complete once upcoming semester schedule is finalized and submit with the document listed in Step 3.

Step 3

Once registered for classes at JMU and schedule is finalized, complete the JMU Form, Request for Veterans Educational Benefits 

  • This form is required every semester you wish to request benefits.
  • After the first semester using benefits, the form will be emailed during registration for the upcoming semester. An advisor signature is required for any class required for your major.  Nothing will be reported to VA with the form. 
  • Enrollment in courses must meet major, GenEd, elective, or degree requirements, or an approved certificate or teacher licensure program to qualify. All majors and minors must be declared on the transcript

Additional requirements:

  • Request all Institutions of Higher Learning transcripts be sent directly to JMU if you've taken classes at another college. Opened transcripts will not be accepted.

Step 4

Research the Virginia Military Survivors and Dependent Education Program (VMSDEP). if you are eligible, apply as soon as possible. Follow their Application Target Date (step 3 on their website) to make sure you apply in time. JMU does not apply retroactive waivers. More informatoin found on the JMU VMSDEP website.

At your initial meeting with a JMU VA Certifying Official, please bring the following:

  • Certificate of Eligibility (or copy of VA Form 22-5490 confirmation page if certificate has not arrived yet)
  • VA File number (typically veteran's SSN or a 8-digit number assigned by VA)
  • Veterans Educational Benefits Student Agreement Form
  • JMU Request form
  • Institution of Higher Learning (IHL) transcript (if you've taken classes at another college). Must be sealed by the other school/unopened if brought to the office or sent directly to JMU from the other school. 

What happens after submitting all required documents for the upcoming semester?

JMU's VA Certifying Official will process a student's request for benefits approximately one month prior to the start of the semester/term (once all required documents are received) and within 6-8 weeks, VA will generate and mail an active award benefit letter to the student. 

Monthly payments are mailed to the spouse or dependent's address or direct deposited to the provided bank account in the original application. Monthly payments are paid in arrears. All JMU charges must be paid upfront by the University deadline each semester.

Reference the GI Bill website for more information regarding Chapter 35 

Back to Top