Feature Image

Applying for Chapter 30 benefits:

  • Complete and submit VA Form 22-1990, Application for VA Education Benefits.  This can be done through the va.gov website
  • Letter of Eligibility or denial letter from VA within 4-6 weeks after submission of application. 
  • Any questions about the content of either letter should be directed to the Veterans Affairs Office at 1-888-442-4551.

At your initial meeting with a JMU VA Certifying Official, please bring the following:

  • Certificate of Eligibility (or copy of 22-1990 application confirmation page)
  • DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (Member 4 copy) for credit evaluation
  • Request official copy of your Military transcripts be sent to JMU for credit evaluation (more information on this link)
  • Institution of Higher Learning (IHL) transcript (if you've taken classes at another college) sent directly to JMU
  • JMU Student Agreement Form
  • JMU form, Request for Veterans Educational Benefits

What happens after submitting all required documents for the upcoming semester?

JMU's VA Certifying Official will process a student's request for benefits approximately one month prior to the start of the semester/term (once all required documents are received) and within 6-8 weeks, VA will generate and mail an active award benefit letter to the student. 

You must verify your attendance on the last calendar day of each month for your monthly stipend to be released. Please reference this link for more information.

Monthly payments are mailed to the spouse or dependent's address or direct deposited to the provided bank account in the original application. Monthly payments are paid in arrears. All JMU charges must be paid upfront by the University deadline each semester.


  • In order for a course to be included in an enrollment to VA, it must meet major, minor, general education, allowed elective, or degree requirements for graduation, or an approved certificate or teacher licensure program to qualify. All majors (including tracks and concentrations) and minors must be declared on your transcript.
  • The JMU Request for Veterans Educational Benefits form is required every semester benefits are requested.  After your 1st semester using your VA Benefits at JMU, the JMU form will be emailed to you after registration for the upcoming semester.  It will require your major advisor to initial and sign for any course needed for your major.  No approval is needed for courses outside your major (general education, degree, minors, preps, etc)

Back to Top