Students may experience temporary medical conditions that impact academic participation or accessibility around campus. The Office of Disability Services will work with the individual student to create an Access Plan so their education is not affected by their impairment or condition.

What are Temporary Impairments and Health Conditions?

Temporary impairments and/or health conditions include, but are not limited to, broken limbs, burns, post-surgery recovery, pregnancy and other similar conditions that temporarily impair or influence with students' abilities to fully participate in academic activities.

James Madison University is not obligated to provide services to students with temporary, non-chronic impairments as they are not covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). However, in an effort to create an accessible and inclusive community, the Office of Disability Services works with students and faculty to find solutions to the short-term issues that may arise from injuries or health conditions.


Accommodations for students with a temporary impairment or condition depend on their individual limitations and documentation. The accommodations that are available, but are not limited to, the following:

How to get Accommodations

The Office of Disability Services requires a student with a temporary impairment or heath condition to register for services. Visit our Getting Started webpage for more information about how to apply for accommodations and complete the registration process.

Back to Top