Male Academy and Female Institute Programs
The JMU Male Academy for Academic Achievement and Female Institute for Learning and Development are exciting two-week summer programs, which provide an opportunity for students, who will be rising 9th through 12th graders in the fall to live and learn on a college campus, as well as enrich their development academically and socially.
This academic enrichment experience includes classes in Math, Writing, and History with passionate and dedicated instructors from across the country. Other sessions provided to enhance personal development include topics in the area of leadership skills, career development, diversity, recreation, community service, personal and social problem solving, and teambuilding. Goals of the program are that participants will:
- Develop knowledge about the collegiate experience and tools necessary to be accepted into and successful in college
- Learn to navigate a college campus with awareness of the types of resources available
- Develop meaningful relationships with young men/women in their peer groups
- Adopt healthy views on manhood and masculinity/womanhood
When Do These Programs Take Place?
This year's program dates are Sunday, July 9th through Saturday, July 22nd. Our programs traditionally begin on a Sunday in July, and last for 2 weeks, ending on a Saturday. Both programs respectively begin with an opening ceremony for participants and families, and end with a closing banquet for both as well.
Who Is Eligible?
The programs are for rising 9th through 12th grade students. In the selection process, an emphasis will be placed on students with limited exposure to college, minority students, those who would be first generation college students, and/or students from low socio-economic backgrounds.
However, all students are encouraged to apply. Young men/women from a variety of diverse backgrounds are selected for participation in the program each year, and learn a lot from one another as a result of our strategic selections.
What Does It Cost?
The cost of the program is $500.00. This cost includes housing, meals, tuition and fees, activities, etc. If accepted into the program, a $250.00 non-refundable deposit will be required in May. The remaining balance of $250.00 is due in June. Upon acceptance, you will be notified of the exact dates, and process of preferred payment. Please do not send a deposit or any payments until you have recieved a notice of acceptance from us.
How Are Participants Selected?
Applicants, parents/guardians, school officials. and those offering recommendations will complete and submit the required online forms. From there, the program director along with a selection committee will select participants for the program based upon application materials submitted by the deadline.
Male Academy for Academic Achievement
- Program Director: Mr. De'Shay Turner
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 540.568.6140
Female Institute for Learning and Development
- Program Director: Ms. Chervon Moore
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 540.568.4013
How Do I Access Applications?
Application links for both programs are included below. Your applications are not complete until all application requirements (Steps 1 through 7) are submitted. Be sure to read the landing pages at the end of the applications carefully. Also, please be sure to complete the proper forms for the program you are applying to (Male Academy or Female Institute). Although the applications are similar, the submissions will be stored based in different locations.
Male Academy Application Materials Checklist:
- Participant Application: http://jmu.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_8IlUKzG98nNtdTT
- New Applicant 500 to 700 Word Essay: http://jmu.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_bQ5ms5E9yfnF9Wd
- Returning Participant 200 to 300 Word Essay: http://jmu.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_3pUvAURSLptu3Jj
- Parental Information Form: http://jmu.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_0rmtrvRFQrLVioB
- General Recommendation Form: http://jmu.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_eCWPDcEl7IsA2gZ
- School Recommendation Form: http://jmu.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_9Wz7nvqDI4a6Ea9
- Official Transcripts (school must email to email@example.com or send to the mailing adress listed above)
Female Institute Application Materials Checklist:
- Participant Application: http://jmu.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_bJE9qFs4jSm0nMF
- New Applicant 500 to 700 Word Essay: http://jmu.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_3sAxqesjm4a6Y6N
- Returning Participant 200 to 300 word Essay: http://jmu.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_6McYajb5iTJudX7
- Parental Information Form: http://jmu.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_6mzygjYniWNmuot
- General Recommendation Form: http://jmu.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_0JxJ7lvxi21jdNX
- School Recommendation Form: http://jmu.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_0kQVrmGMvl8sJFz
- Official Transcripts (school must email to firstname.lastname@example.org or send to the mailing adress listed above)
Please view the following link for information regarding Policy 1340 - Sexual Harrassment and Sexual Misconduct: http://www.jmu.edu/JMUpolicy/policies/1340.shtml
What About School and General Recommendation Forms?
Please direct those who will be completing your school and general recommendations to this website so that they can access the link directly from here. All other forms are to be completed by the participant or parent/guardian.
When is the Application Deadline and When Will We Know If We Are Selected?
Our application deadline is Friday, April 7th at 5pm est. All materials must be submitted by this deadline for full consideration. Applicants will be notified of their status within 2 to 3 weeks of this date.
Male Academy and Female Institute Staff Applications Are Available!
Our staff are essential to the management, flow, and success of this program. Each year we hire local college students for the following positions:
- Resident Advisors (4)
- Role: Develop mentor relationships with participants, support and mentor small group of participants, facilitate activities and discussions, assist in management and coordination of all group activities and events
- Hall Director (1)
- Role: Serve as liaison between program director and resident counselors in leadership role, serve as point of contact for residence hall management, assist in execution of all programs, activities, and events
- Administrative Assistant (1)
- Role: Collect and organize required documents/payments for accepted participants, create/manage spreadsheets and other files to organize data, assist in planning of travel, communicate with parents/guardians during camp, assist in planning and execution of Opening Ceremony, panels, luncheons, and Closing Banquet
Please see the links below to apply. Each staff application link provides more information about the various positions. You must have a valid driver's license. Application deadlines are Friday, March 17th.
Male Academy for Academic Achievement Staff Application Materials
- Staff Application: http://jmu.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_3JeiVtUTStQJYup
- Staff Reference Form: http://jmu.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_e4bZpHfwaJxOd81
Female Institute for Learning and Development Staff Application Materials
- Staff Application: http://jmu.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_6XuTDF7H0BqQqhv
- Staff Reference Form: http://jmu.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_0Swke6SFj6ezjF3