The office of Admissions maintains a set of pages explaining many issues about transferring to JMU. If you are transferring from a Virginia Community College (VCCS), Transfer Agreements are in place to transfer your credits. If you are transferring from another 4-year institution, the VCCS transfer equivalents are used as a guideline, but specific courses are evaluated individually. The University provides a detailed description of the credits transferred once you have applied and been accepted to JMU. Because of the large number of inquiries, it is not possible to obtain an official evaluation prior to application.

The key to transferring credits is that you must arrange with the institution(s) involved for an official transcript to be sent to the Registrar, MSC 3528, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA 22807. An unofficial transcript is not acceptable. All grades must be "C" or higher to be considered for transfer. If you are a matriculated student (taking classes at JMU) then you must obtain permission in advance for any courses that you wish to take at another institution. Pick up a copy of the "Permission to take courses for transfer credit" form from Registrar's Office in the Student Success Center, or download from their website ( The individual course must be approved (initialed in the right hand column) by the department that offers the course at JMU. (e.g. go to the Chemistry office for a chemistry course; the Biology Academic Advisor (Bioscience 2001A) for a biology course, etc.). Once approved and signed, the form can be delivered to the Registrar's Office.

Yes. Summer transfer credits involve the same procedures describe above for transferring credits. They can only be transferred from an accredited academic institution.

Yes, BIO core classes may be transferred, as long as the courses are pre-approved. See above for the procedure to transfer credits to JMU.

If the study abroad is being offered through a foreign university and therefore you will be earning credits at that university, the same transfer procedure above applies. Have your proposed classes pre-approved to transfer to JMU. If the study abroad is being offered directly through JMU and you will be earning JMU credits, the courses automatically appear on your JMU transcript. Read more about study abroad options on the study abroad website (

As many as you like, however a minimum of 60 credits must be taken at a 4-year institution and a minimum of 30 credits must be earned at JMU to receive a JMU degree.


Information about International Student Admissions and IB courses is located on the Admissions website. Individual courses from international institutions are evaluated on an individual basis by the departments involved through submission of a request to the Registrar's Office.

Yes, but credit for BIO 270 or BIO 290 cannot be awarded separately for one half of an Anatomy and Physiology (A&P) course. This means that both A&P I and A&P II must be completed with a "C" grade or higher from the same institution. The sequences at some other institutions cover one half of the systems each semester and integrate physiology and anatomy. BIO 290 covers only human anatomy and does it from a regional viewpoint rather than by individual systems (e.g. circulatory or nervous). This means that a region, such as the shoulder is examined intact by looking at the muscles, bones, nerves and blood vessels that pass through it, etc. Then another region, such as the abdomen is covered in a similar manner. It is impossible to allocated credit from A&P I or II to this course because the content is not the same. Similarly, the physiology of the entire body is examined in BIO 270 and again, one half of the material would not be covered in a single semester of A&P I or II.

Back to Top