Freshman Requirements

In the Hong Kong system:

  • For applicants graduating 2012 and forward: 3 on a 5 point scale or C on the HKDSE (Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education Exam).
  • For applicants who graduated in 2011 or earlier: Applicants who have completed their A-levels (HKALE) must have passed two A-level subjects and five HKCEE subjects (including English and Math). Applicants who have not taken the A-levels and have only completed the HKCEEs must have passed English, Math, and three additional academic subjects with a combined minimum average of 'C'. 

Or the equivalent in the U.S. system: a 'B' average or a 3.00 grade point average (GPA) on a 4.00 GPA grading scale. If your high school uses a different grading scale, please contact us.

If you do not meet the minimum requirements, you may still be considered for admission. Please contact us to explain your situation.

Transfer Requirements

Please contact us for country-specific transfer information.

English Language Requirement for Nonnative Speakers

Demonstrate English language proficiency in one of the following ways:

  • Minimum standardized test score:
    • Note: Please specify the JMU CEEB code (005392) on the testing form. Test scores must be sent directly from the testing agency to JMU. Student copies will not be accepted.
    • IELTS minimum score of 6.5
    • GTEC CBT minimum score of 1210
    • Duolingo English Test minimum score of 105
    • Pearson PTE Academic minimum score of 58
    • TOEFL minimum score of 81 (internet-based test)
    • SAT minimum score of 500 on the Evidenced Based Reading and Writing Portion of SAT exam
    • Cambridge English Exam - Certificate of Advanced English (CAE) minimum score of 176, CEFR level
  • Submission of a General Certificate of Secondary Education or General Certificate of Education "O" level in English language.
  • Possession of an American associate's or bachelor's degree equivalent from an accredited institution located in a country where English is the native language.
  • Graduation from an accredited high school in a native English-speaking country where the applicant has resided for at least four years.

For applicants who do not meet the required English proficiency but meet all other academic requirements, the student may apply for the International Year Program at the James Madison University International Study Center.

Completing Your Application

A completed international application to JMU must include the following:

  • Application, submitted online or by mail (download).
  • Transcripts or statement of marks of all secondary and post-secondary education, translated into English. Transcripts must be complete. For applicants still enrolled the transcript or statement of marks must also include grades for the most recent term. The transcript must be an original copy certified by the sending institution.
  • One letter of recommendation.
  • Proof of English language proficiency for nonnative speakers.
  • Financial certification form. This form must be completed by the student's sponsor or financial guarantor and submitted with the requested documents.
  • (Optional) Standardized test scores: Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) or American College Testing Assessment (ACT).
  • Copy of your passport from your home country.
  • If applicable, copy of your current U.S. visa documents.
  • $70 application fee.

Apply Online

Back to Top