Frequently Asked Questions
General | Help | Password | E-mail| Mobile Devices
- Who receives Live@edu accounts?
- How long do students keep their Live@edu account?
JMU provides students with an e-mail account that they can use while they are students and then take with them after they graduate. This service not only provides e-mail and online file storage but also additional features that Microsoft adds on a regular basis.
- What is my Live@edu e-mail address?
Student Live@edu e-mail addresses are e-ID@dukes.jmu.edu, while faculty and staff are on a Microsoft Exchange system with e-mail addresses of e-ID@jmu.edu.
- What browsers can I use to access my Live@edu account?
Most web browsers support the Outlook Web application that you use to access your Live Account. If you use a browser that doesn't support the full feature set, Outlook Web App will open in a light version. For further details, visit Microsoft's Outlook Web App Supported Browsers knowledge base entry.
- Can I discontinue my Live@edu account service when I graduate?
If you wish to discontinue use of the account, you may simply stop using it. However, we do not delete the account. If you want to resume usage at a later date, it will still be available. If you do decide to stop using the account completely, we recommend that you turn off all forwarding rules that you have setup and consider creating an automatic reply (Out of Office) message to indicate that the account is no longer in use.
If you have further questions or concerns, please contact the JMU Computing HelpDesk.
- Where do I get support when I have questions?
- Where can I learn more about Live@edu?
Microsoft provides lots of information about Live@edu and its features here: my.liveatedu.com. This site may require you to install the Microsoft Silverlight plug-in for your browser in order to view the page.
- Will I use my e-ID and password to access Live@edu?
No. Your login and password for Live@edu will be different than your e-ID and e-ID password. Your Live@edu login will be e-ID@dukes.jmu.edu and your password will be whatever you set it up to be when you activate your Live@edu account.
- Will I have to change my Live@edu password every 90 days like my e-ID password?
No. You don't have to change your Live@edu password. However, you have the option to have the system require you to change it every 72 days if you'd prefer. For security purposes, it is recommended that you change your password periodically.
- How can I set a Secret Question and/or Alternate E-mail Address to reset my own password?
Sign in to the Live account service site at http://accounts.live.com (or, if you are already logged in to your Live@edu account, click Home, scroll to bottom of the page, then click Account on the bottom right of the page to go to the Account window)
- Click Change for the "Profile details Question Set a default question
- Click Add for the "Windows Live options Alternate e-mail address
- Click Save when done
- Note: more information can be found on the "Frequently Asked Questions" listed on the right-hand side of the Live Account page site.
- If I am primarily a student but also work on campus as a student employee, which e-mail system will I use?
It depends. If your employer determines you need access to the Exchange system, they can request an Exchange account for you. In this case, you will have two e-mail addresses: e-ID@jmu.edu (an Exchange account for work-related use) and e-ID@dukes.jmu.edu (a Live@edu account for student use). Your Exchange account will only remain active for the duration of your employment with the department, or when the department determines you no longer need the account to fulfill your job duties-whichever occurs first. On the other hand, your employer may determine that you don't need an Exchange account and conduct any correspondence with you through your Live@edu account.
- If I have both a Live@edu account and an Exchange account, where will my e-mail be delivered?
E-mail addressed to e-ID@dukes.jmu.edu will be delivered to your Live@edu account. E-mail addressed to e-ID@jmu.edu will be delivered to your Exchange account.
- I am both a student and an employee. I have a Live@edu account for my schoolwork and an Exchange account for my job. Will student-related e-mails automatically go to my Live@edu account, and employee-related e-mails automatically go to my Exchange account?
The goal is “YES!” but we are not there yet. We are still working with the different systems on campus to send e-mails to the appropriate place depending on the context of the message. For now, it is important to monitor both accounts, or setup your Live@edu account to forward e-mail to your Exchange account so all your messages reside in one place.
- I am a faculty (staff) member as well as a student. I already have an Exchange e-mail account. Do I need to follow the procedures to setup my student Live@edu account as well?
Yes, you should setup your Live@edu account at your earliest convenience. You will have two e-mail accounts and addresses: an e-ID@jmu.edu account for your employee-related work and an e-ID@dukes.jmu.edu account for your student work. E-mails addressed to e-ID@jmu.edu will be delivered to your employee account (Exchange); e-mails addressed to e-ID@dukes.jmu.edu will be delivered to your student account (Live@edu). If you would like to manage all your e-mail in one place, you can have Live@edu e-mails delivered to your employee account by setting up forwarding:
- Can I keep track of other e-mail accounts (such as Gmail) from within my Live@edu account?
Yes, please see Microsoft’s instructions on how to keep track of e-mail from other accounts by connecting to them from your Outlook Web App account. You can connect up to five other accounts, such as Hotmail, Gmail, and Yahoo! Mail accounts. This lets you send, receive, and read mail from all the accounts in one place.
- Will I still be able to forward e-mail from my Live@edu account to my Gmail account (or other)?
Yes. However, we encourage you to get familiar with all that Live@edu has to offer and use it as your primary e-mail system. Also, all official JMU correspondence with you will be sent to your Live@edu account. If you still wish to forward messages to another account, please see Microsoft’s "Use Rules to Automatically Forward Messages to Another Account."
- Can I access my Live@edu e-mail with a desktop client such as Outlook ?
Yes, you can access your Live account with different e-mail clients (such as Outlook Mac Mail, etc). To find your desktop client IMAP or POP, port and SSL settings, sign in to your Live@edu account and click the ? for Help, then click About. Note: If you don't know whether to use IMAP4 or POP3, consider IMAP4 because it supports more features and always keeps a local copy of the message on the server after you retrieve a copy to your local computer.
- How can I get more information on using Outlook Web App to access my Live@edu account?
Get help with Outlook Web App when you login to your Live@edu account at http://outlook.com/dukes.jmu.edu.
- Can I access my Live@edu e-mail on an iphone, iPad or iPod Touch?
Yes, this document describes the setup process.
- Can I access my Live@edu e-mail on other mobile devices?
Yes, please see the Live@edu Outlook Web App mobile phone instructions.