Troubleshooting a desktop computer monitor which is blank after restarting your computer
Note: It may go without saying, but the most important advice about troubleshooting your monitor is to never physically open it up. There are high voltages present in monitors, and it is not worth the risk of injury or death.
Follow these steps to get your monitor up and running:
- Make sure that the monitor has an amber or green power indicator light on the front of the monitor (typically on the power button). If so, skip to step 5. If not, follow steps 2, 3 and 4.
- Press the monitor's power button to make sure that the monitor has not been inadvertently turned off.
- Make sure that the monitor's power cable is plugged in to both the monitor and to an appropriate electrical source, such as a surge protector.
- Try a different electrical outlet to see if that successfully provides power to the monitor. If the monitor is still completely dead with no power indicator lit up, please contact the HelpDesk at 540-568-3555. If the monitor is powered on with the power indicator lit, but still gets a blank screen, continue with step 5.
- Make sure that the brightness has not been turned down using the front controls on the monitor itself. If not, proceed to step 6.
- Disconnect all devices except for the mouse, keyboard and monitor. Reboot your computer to see if the issue is resolved. If not, continue to step 7. If it is resolved, then it is one of the devices that you have disconnected that is causing the problem. try connecting them one at a time and rebooting each time until the original problem occurs. Once identified, try reinstalling the device and updating the driver to resolve the issue.
- Check the monitor's data cable. Make sure the data cable that runs from the monitor to your computer is screwed in tight at both ends. Try using another cable to see if it remedies the problem. If the screen is still blank, you can try swapping your monitor onto another computer to see if it works there. If it does work, then you know the problem is not the monitor and troubleshooting can begin on your computer itself, beginning with your video card.
If your screen is still blank at this point in the troubleshooting process, please contact the HelpDesk at 540-568-3555 and indicate that you have followed all of the steps on this page.