Concentrations: Crime and Criminology, Global Justice and Policy, Social Justice

Major requirements and their VCCS equivalents (and RBC equivalents if applicable)

JMU Course: MATH 220, Elementary Statistics (see advising note #4)

  • VCCS equivalents: MTH 146 or MTH 155 or MTH 157 or MTH 240 or MTH 241 or MTH 245
  • RBC equivalents: MATH 217

Advising Notes

Please Read: This major guide is a list of all possible major courses offered in the Virginia Community College System. Not all courses may be offered at your community college, and you are not required to complete all these courses in order to transfer. Rather, it’s designed to help you meet JMU major requirements before you transfer, and be better prepared to progress through the major once you arrive at JMU. Please be sure to read the advising notes for additional information on the major.

  1. Justice Studies is not a criminal justice program. Students are encouraged to go to the departmental Web site (link below) for more information on the major.
  2. JUST 200 is the prerequisite course for all other JUST major courses. Students completing an associate degree may want to consider transferring in the summer and completing JUST 200 on-line. Students who do not complete the course over the summer and are transferring with an approved associate degree will need to choose elective courses in addition to JUST 200 in their first semester at JMU in order to be a full-time student.
  3. Due to course sequencing, it will be difficult for transfer students to complete the degree in two years, therefore students may want to consider transferring early.
  4. Taking the equivalent of MATH 220 at community college is recommended as it is a prerequisite for JUST 399, Justice Research Methods.
  5. There is a limit of 3 courses that can transfer and count as justice studies major requirements. No transfer credit will be given for any 300 or 400-level courses in the major.
  6. Students pursuing a B.A. degree must demonstrate proficiency in a foreign language (either through the JMU foreign language placement exam or coursework). Please note that JMU does not grant transfer credit for the 101-102 levels of a foreign language that a student studied for two or more years in high school.

For more information:

Back to Top