Frequently Asked Questions

Application Process

Yes. The application process is required for all non-degree seeking students every summer. The application process determines the tuition (in-state or out of state) level based on residency criteria.



Canvas is a web-based course-management system designed to allow JMU students and faculty to participate in classes delivered online or use online materials and activities to complement face-to-face teaching. Canvas enables instructors to provide students with course materials, discussion boards, virtual chat, online quizzes, an academic resource center, and more. The degree to which Canvas is used in a course varies. For example, instructors may supplement an on-campus class by putting their syllabus and handouts on their course sites.

Use your JMU e-ID and password to access Canvas.  The link to log into Canvas is located on the main JMU page under the Current Students link.

Contact Canvas Support by sending an email to

Course Schedule

Some JMU courses have prerequisites--a condition that is required or necessary.  The prerequisites may include an academic level (such as senior standing) or a course which needs to be taken prior to enrolling.  All summer-only students who wish to take JMU courses which list a prerequisite must obtain JMU departmental permission.

Summer registration for summer-only students begins May 1st.  In order to register, your application and e-ID process must be complete.

Yes.  Current JMU students have registration appointments which begin prior to the open enrollment date. 

My Madison/Enrollment

MyMadison is JMU's student portal which includes our online registration system.  Students have access to it through an electronic ID and password.  Students may register for classes via MyMadison, check course offerings, view their unofficial transcript, have access to their class schedule, and access other important information.

Upon the submission of your application to JMU, you will receive a confirmation email indicating your application has been received.  This only a courtesy email for confirmation.  You will receive another email from JMU within 48 hours stating your application has been processed.  This information will contain information on accessing e-campus.

Tutorials for enrolling in classes are available at

Financial Aid

You need to contact the financial aid office of your home school to determine if your financial aid will cover courses taken at other academic institutions.

Getting around campus

The online map is located at You may also obtain a campus map from the Admissions Welcome Center located in Holland Yates Hall (formerly Madison Hall). 

Highschool student questions

High School students who are rising seniors or seniors may take up to two courses at JMU during the summer.  In addition to submitting the application and residency forms, high school students must also submit a letter or recommendation from the high school principal or counselor and a copy of their transcript. 

JAC Card

 The JAC card is the JMU student identification card.  You will need a JAC card if you reside locally and plan to use the JMU Library, recreation center, computer labs or other campus resources. 


Obtaining a parking permit at JMU is essential if you plan to drive to campus. Parking regulations are strictly enforced 24 hours a day and tickets can be expensive. Parking permits can be ordered online through the parking services web site, or purchased from the parking services office on the ground floor of the parking garage near the stadium. Refer to the parking services web site for current permit costs.

Technical assistance - IT Helpdesk

You may contact the JMU Information Technology (IT)  HelpDesk for assistance.  The IT HelpDesk web site is located at  Here you will find self-help information, top inquiries, online request forms, location, hours, and much more.  You may contact the JMU IT HelpDesk by calling 540-568-3555 and selecting 9 to speak with a HelpDesk Representative.  


To request a copy of your official transcript, you may either request go to the Regisrar's transcript page at

(Please note that this transcript request form must be submitted in person, through the mail system or by fax to the Office of the Registrar. We cannot release a transcript without a written signature. For your convenience, the forms are also available at the Registrar's office on the 5th floor of the Student Success Building. )
You may also write a letter requesting your transcript. You will find additional information about requesting transcripts at

Tuition payment

Yes. You will find payment information on the University Business Office web site at or phone them directly at 540-568-6505.

Back to Top