american flag and soldiers

Steps to Transfer Benefits to Dependents

Red and blue stars

Have you already received the Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) in the name of the dependent?

*If yes, then skip to Step #4.  JMU's VA Certifying Officials require a copy of the CoE and the JMU form from Step #4.

Step 1: DOD/DHS Approval of Transfer

Service member makes transfer designation, completes form, and submits to DoD/DHS for approval.

Go to , set up an account and transfer your benefit to spouse/children. Please reference this fact sheet on eBenefits for more information. (Or if unable to access eBenefits, go to  and list all dependents/spouses that you may wish to transfer benefits)

  • For log-on purposes, have available your Common Access Card (CAC) OR DoD Self Service User ID OR DFAS Pin number. Note: This website only works in Internet Explorer.
  • At the top of the screen, it has the service member's name, rank, status, and date. The status is "submitted" when the service member first submits the form. It will change to "approved" after both the military branch and DoD/DHS approve the transfer of eligibility).
  • JMU's VA Certifying Officials need a copy of the approval.
  • Proceed to Step 2 once the TEB (transfer of benefits) is approved

Step 2: Veterans Affairs Application for Post 9/11 Benefits

Service or family member completes and submits VA Form 22-1990e through the VA website,

  • Please note this form should only be filled out and submitted to VA AFTER DoD/DHS has approved the request for TEB (step 1).
  • The application can be completed once the child turns 18 or graduates high school, whichever comes first.
  • If applying for the Post 9/11 benefit for a dependent/spouse, make sure to complete the VA Form 22-1990e application. The VA Form 22-1990 application is for the veteran only.
  • Make sure the VA Form 22-1990e application is completed in the dependent's name.
  • JMU's VA Certifying Officials will need a copy of the submitted 22-1990e application.
  • If you set up direct deposit on the 22-1990e application (preferred method), payments for BAH and books/supplies will be deposited into this account.

Award and certificate of eligibility letters will be generated by VA and mailed to the permanent home address of the dependent on the 22-1990e application. Please send copies of letters to the JMU VA Certifying Officials. (VA requires 8-10 weeks to process these letters).

Step 3: Veterans Educational Benefits Student Agreement Form

Print Veterans Educational Benefits Student Agreement Form and complete page 1 and other applicable sections.

If you are using a parent's benefit, please have your parent review and sign the form. Submit completed form to School Certifying Official (SCO). Retain a copy for yourself.

Step 4: JMU's Request for Veterans Educational Benefits Form

After acceptance to JMU and completion of course registration during summer orientation, dependent completes JMU's Request for Veterans Educational Benefits form and sends to JMU SCO.

If you are receiving any scholarships, please provide documentation (letter or email) from the scholarship organization re: how the scholarship money is intended to be used. Please contact SCO if the dependent is receiving any scholarships.

If you will be using any other tuition/fee specific aid, we must know as it is treated like a tuition/fee specific scholarship. Ex - tuition waiver

  • 1st semester JMU students - please print and fill out the JMU form (from above) once you have registered for classes.
  • Returning JMU Students - Effective Fall 2012, the “JMU Request for Veteran’s Educational Benefits” form is required to be turned in each semester or summer term you wish to request benefits. After the first semester at JMU using Post 9/11, the student's form is emailed to him/her each semester and requires an advisor signature before submitting to the School Certifying Official. Do not return JMU form to SCO if student/parents do not want to request benefits for a semester.

Step 5: SCO Submits Enrollment Certification

JMU's School Certifying Officials (SCO) submits student’s enrollment to VA

JMU's SCO electronically submits the 22-1999 enrollment certification to VA roughly one month prior to the start of the semester. The enrollment certification will include the students' credit hours, tuition charges and fees. Payments of the BAH and books/supplies stipend to the student along with payment of tuition and fees to JMU, are calculated based on this certification.

Processing of a student's enrollment and release of initial payments (tuition, 1st BAH payment and book stipend) by VA can take at least 6-8 weeks each semester. Please have money upfront to pay for books as well as money to pay the full Room/Board charges by the 1st Friday of the semester. If the student is living off campus, have at least 2 months of living expenses available.

How to Continue Benefits after the 1st Semester at JMU

In order to request benefits after the first semester at JMU, the student must turn in their JMU Request for Educational Benefits form.

  • The form is emailed during registration for the upcoming semester from IS-Student Administration. Do NOT use the form from this website.
  • Or the student can email asking for a new form. Please state name and student ID number in the email.
  • The form can only be sent once a student has enrolled in at least one course.
  • The form requires an advisor signature for any course that counts for his/her major.
  • Submit the form once classes are finalized and will not change.
  • Benefits will not be requested from VA without the form.
  • The form is due by the 2nd Friday of each semester.

Back to Top