Feature Image

If you have received Chapter 35 benefits at another college or university, you will need to complete the following steps:

  • Step 1: VA Form 22-5495, Request for Change of Program or Place of Training
    • We recommend completing it onilne through va.gov. Click on the green "find your education benefits form" button and answer the questions. It should take you to the 22-5495 application once you answer two questions and click the green "apply now" button
    • Provide updated Certificate of Eligibility when it arrives. It will tell you have much entitlement you have remaining with the benefit.
  • Step 2: Veterans Educational Benefits Student Agreement Form
    • Complete page 1, the Chapter 35 section on page 3 and sign date on page 4
    • Submit with the JMU Form (step 3 below)
  • Step 3: JMU Request for Veterans Educational Benefits form 
    • Complete and submit form once you have registered for classes and participated in orientation and/or worked with your advisor to review your semester schedule. 

Additional information: Some Chapter 35 users also qualify for the Virginia Military Survivors and Dependent Education Program (VMSDEP). If you are eligible, apply as soon as possible. Follow their Application Target Date (step 3 on their website) to make sure you apply in time. JMU does not apply retroactive waivers. More informatoin found on the JMU VMSDEP website.

Reference our Chapter 35 Brochure for more information


  • In order for a course to be included in an enrollment to VA, it must meet major, minor, general education, degree, or allowed elective to reach 120 credits (after all required courses are factored in) for graduation, or an approved certificate or teacher licensure program to qualify. All majors (including tracks and concentrations) and minors must be declared on your transcript.
  • The JMU Request for Veterans Educational Benefits form is required every semester benefits are requested. 
  • After your 1st semester using your benefits, the JMU form will be emailed to you after registering for the upcoming semester.  It will require your major advisor to initial and sign for any course needed for your major.  No approval is needed for courses outside your major (general education, degree, minors, preps, etc).

What happens after submitting all required documents for the upcoming semester?

JMU's VA Certifying Official will process a student's request for benefits approximately one month prior to the start of the semester/term (once all required documents are received) and within 6-8 weeks, VA will generate and mail an active award benefit letter to the student. 

Monthly payments are mailed to the spouse or dependent's address or direct deposited to the provided bank account in the original application. Monthly payments are paid in arrears. All JMU charges must be paid upfront by the University deadline each semester.

Reference the GI Bill website for more information regarding Chapter 35 

Back to Top