Feature Image

Step 1: VA Form 22-1990 Application

Complete VA Form 22-1990 via the vets.gov website.  Instructions on how to submit the 22-1990 application can be found here. Print and retain a copy of the VA Form 22-1990 confirmation page for yourself and fax/email/mail a copy to JMU's VA Certifying Official.

  • Within 8-12 weeks, VA will generate an Award or Certificate of Eligibility Letter. It will be mailed to the home address provided on your application.  This may or may not precede the arrival of payments. The letter may include information regarding tuition and fees, number of credits, and the amount VA will send to JMU for payment of tuition/fees and the amounts you should expect for payments of BAH and the books/supplies stipend.

  • After receipt of the VA Certificate of Eligibility, provide a copy to JMU’s VA Certifying Official.

  • Note: If you have already applied for Post 9/11 Benefits and received your award/certificate of eligibility letter from VA, JMU’s VA Certifying Officials only need a copy of this letter and the JMU form from step #2 and #3.

  • Important: Applying for the Post 9/11 Benefit is only done once.

Step 2: Complete the JMU Student Agreement Form

Once you are accepted and coming to JMU, complete the Student Agreement Form.

  • Submit to School Certifying Official via the delivery instructions on the last page.
  • Only complete the sections applicable to you.
  • Keep a copy for your records.

Step 3: JMU Request for Veterans Educational Benefits form

Following your acceptance to JMU, payment of deposit and after you have registered for courses, print and complete JMU's Request for Veterans Educational Benefits form. 

  • Enrollment in courses must meet General Education, major, minor, or degree requirements for graduation, or other approved program at JMU to qualify.  
  • Return the form to JMU's School Certifying Officials once you are fully registered for classes and you are confident your schedule is finalized.  Follow the delivery instructions on the back of the form or at the bottom of this page.
  • If you are receiving any scholarships, please provide documentation from the scholarship organization of the intent of the scholarship. If you are using any other tuition/fee specific aid, we must know right away (ex - tuition waiver) Click Here for more information.
  • Note: This form must be turned in every semester a student wants to request benefits.  After your 1st semester at JMU using your GI Bill, you will receive all future forms via email after registration for the upcoming semester is complete.  It will require your major advisor to approve and sign for courses required for your major.  Your delay in returning this completed form to JMU’s VA Certifying Officials may result in a delay of payment.

When turning in JMU Form, please provide the following documents. It is required of all GI Bill recipients to have all prior credit evaluated. We will request it in the future if not provided initially.

  • DD214 Member-4 copy
  • Military Transcript (JST)
  • Make sure to send JMU (Admissions Office) all prior higher education transcripts for evaluation. These transcripts do NOT go to Certifying Official.

Step 4: Enrollment Certification submitted to VA by JMU SCO

Once you have provided a copy of your VA Form 22-1990 or Certificate of Eligibility, Student Agreement Form, the JMU Request for Veterans Educational Benefits form and your courses are verified, and the required transcripts for evaluation (DD-214, JST and prior college transcripts), JMU's VA Certifying Officials will electronically submit the 22-1999 enrollment certification to VA.

  • The enrollment certification will include the students' credit hours, tuition charges and fees and dates of the term.  Payments to the student for the BAH and books/supplies stipend, along with payment of tuition and fees to JMU, are calculated based on this certification. 
  • The requesting of benefits each semester is the only repeatable step.  In order to request benefits for each semester, you MUST turn in the JMU Request form each semester.
  • Note: This step can only be done by JMU’s VA Certifying Official.


  • In order for a course to be included in an enrollment to VA, it must meet major, minor, general education, degree, or allowed elective to reach 120 credits (after all required courses are factored in) for graduation, or an approved certificate or teacher licensure program to qualify. All majors (including tracks and concentrations) and minors must be declared on your transcript.
  • The JMU Request for Veterans Educational Benefits form is required every semester benefits are requested. 
  • After your 1st semester using your benefits, the JMU form will be emailed to you after registering for the upcoming semester.  It will require your major advisor to initial and sign for any course needed for your major.  No approval is needed for courses outside your major (general education, degree, minors, preps, etc). 

Back to Top