Feature Image

Returning Post 9/11 User: Transfer Student from another Institution

Reference our Post 9/11 Brochure and provide:

  • Step 1: Complete VA Form 22-1995, Request for Change of Program or Place of Training.
    • We recommend completing it onilne through va.gov.
    • Provide updated Certificate of Eligibility (COE) once it is received.
    • You can provide an old COE until it arrives if it will come after the start of the semester.
  • Step 2: Student Agreement Form - Complete page 1, the Post 9/11 section on page 2 and sign/date page 4
  • Step 3: JMU Request form, Request for Veterans Educational Benefits - Complete once semester schedule is finalized and student doesn't plan to make any changes
  • Additional: Submit all prior higher education transcripts for credit evaluation, including dual enrollment, AP and IB test scores and transfer credit from other colleges/universities.


  • In order for a course to be included in an enrollment to VA, it must meet major, minor, general education, degree, or allowed elective to reach 120 credits (after all required courses are factored in) for graduation, or an approved certificate or teacher licensure program to qualify. All majors (including tracks and concentrations) and minors must be declared on your transcript.
  • The JMU Request for Veterans Educational Benefits form is required every semester benefits are requested. 
  • After your 1st semester using your benefits, the JMU form will be emailed to you after registering for the upcoming semester.  It will require your major advisor to initial and sign for any course needed for your major.  No approval is needed for courses outside your major (general education, degree, minors, preps, etc). 

Back to Top